What extra parts should I have on hand? - Page 2 - M14 Forum
M14 Forum Keeping the M14 tradition alive!  

What extra parts should I have on hand?

This is a discussion on What extra parts should I have on hand? within the The M14 forums, part of the M14 M1A Forum category; +1 on the bolt guts. Iíve also had an ejector fail. The bolt disassembly tool makes the work easy but many videos exist on how ...


Go Back   M14 Forum > M14 M1A Forum > The M14

33Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Moderator Tools Display Modes

Old April 29th, 2020, 06:16 AM   #16
Designated Marksman
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 688
+1 on the bolt guts. Iíve also had an ejector fail. The bolt disassembly tool makes the work easy but many videos exist on how to use a cut down 30.06 case for the chore.

Eyeguy is offline  
Remove Ads
Old April 29th, 2020, 08:07 AM   #17
Lifer
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,533
Mentioned several times above already

Springs, bolt internals, bolt roller and retaining clip, roll pins, pivot pins, gas cylinder and piston, gas selector valve, stock liner screws, hammer, hammer spring housing, trigger. Also, bolt assembly tool, gas cylinder holder and 3/8" box end wrench for the plug, appropriate allen tool for front sight/flash hider, stock screw wrench, misc screwdrivers. Cleaning supplies. All packed into a plastic 'ammo' box.

Not preparation for everything breakable, just what I can fix in a flash.

oldflyboy is offline  
Old April 29th, 2020, 08:53 AM   #18
Lifer
 
Douglas Haig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Southeast
Posts: 3,742
Cut it out guys you’re all making these weapons seem awfully unreliable.

Thanks from XM25Ren
Douglas Haig is online now  
 
Old April 29th, 2020, 08:55 AM   #19
No social life
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 10,355

Awards Showcase

If you want to start a very short thread, simply ask "What parts have you actually broken or lost?"

KurtC is offline  
Old April 29th, 2020, 08:59 AM   #20
Squad Leader
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Northwest Wisconsin
Posts: 275
Good late morning!
I'm reading this extra parts topic with great interest! I have installed a Schuster adjustable gas valve in both of my M1-A's. One is a brush rifle from '96 production I just found. I like to think that these valves allow me to shoot genteel reloads and save parts breakage. Also, one mention of using foreign made ammo. I load for approximately 75 different cartridges; from the .56/50 Spencer thru modern day stuff. The first cartridge I ever reloaded was a Swedish 6.5x55 round using Berdan primers at age 16. Over time I decided to make it possible to continue reloading if our government ever tried any funny stuff with large rifle primer availability. Berdan rifle primers was the answer and I have made use of the empty Berdan primed cases from many of the countries loading 7.62x51mm NATO rounds. I have a stock of thousands of Wolf brand Berdan large rifle regular and mag primers. Funny thing now is that I can no longer get Berdan primers anywhere, but no matter. Just finished putting some ammo together using Berdan Portugese and British (Radway Green headstamp) casings for the M1-A's. Never a problem so far. Schuster plugs also put in the 3 Garands I have.
GregT

GregT is offline  
Old April 30th, 2020, 06:15 PM   #21
Grunt
 
BorderWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: N. Arizona
Posts: 88
Hi, Jack;

This thread was about spare parts and sitch. I would like to push a tangent off the orignal direction if possible.

The "mission" for my rifle is as a DMR. I have glass and a solid mount.

My query:

The load I wish to move her over to which I have hoarded for a while now is a Hornady 168gr. TAP.
Since this is a bit more muscular than the typical military load I am interested in input
from more experienced heads than mine. What says the group on use of this police
sniper load in an M1A with only a SADLAK spring guide and piston as upgrades? The
rifle started life as a Scout Squad.
If private reply: www.willjeans.com and many thanks yea or nay.

BorderWolf is offline  
Old April 30th, 2020, 06:30 PM   #22
No social life
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 10,355

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderWolf View Post
Hi, Jack;

This thread was about spare parts and sitch. I would like to push a tangent off the orignal direction if possible.

The "mission" for my rifle is as a DMR. I have glass and a solid mount.

My query:

The load I wish to move her over to which I have hoarded for a while now is a Hornady 168gr. TAP.
Since this is a bit more muscular than the typical military load I am interested in input
from more experienced heads than mine. What says the group on use of this police
sniper load in an M1A with only a SADLAK spring guide and piston as upgrades? The
rifle started life as a Scout Squad.
If private reply: www.willjeans.com and many thanks yea or nay.
If these are the loads you are talking about, they tested them in an M1A. They appear to be fairly anemic by match standards.
https://www.hornadyle.com/rifle-ammu...p-precision#!/
or
https://www.hornadyle.com/rifle-ammu...p-precision#!/

If the rifle feels like it has a sharp recoil impulse, try a Schuster overbored and ported (non adjustable) gas plug. It will reduce the port pressure considerably.


Last edited by KurtC; April 30th, 2020 at 06:45 PM.
KurtC is offline  
Old April 30th, 2020, 10:36 PM   #23
Grunt
 
308 man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Southern Nevada
Posts: 121
Spare complete trigger assembly, op rod, guide rod spring. Complete bolt assembly. Then you can pick up on some individual bolt parts to if you want to keep your two bolts up and running if hard times hit and you need it. But it's nice to have the complete bolt and trigger group, so you don't find yourself trying to learn how to do gunsmithing at a time when you need your rifle. And don't forget magazines - some spare mag springs are good to have.

308 man is offline  
Old May 2nd, 2020, 11:04 AM   #24
Lifer
 
lysander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,182

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtC View Post
If you want to start a very short thread, simply ask "What parts have you actually broken or lost?"
In the 25 of so years i have had my M1A /M14 and M1s, I lost and ejector, once. But that's because I bothered to take apart the bolt.

Lesson, don't take part the bolt, you'll never loose anything.

Worn out a barrel or two over the years, 'though.

Thanks from KurtC and XM25Ren
lysander is offline  
Old May 2nd, 2020, 12:27 PM   #25
Lifer
 
lysander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,182

Awards Showcase

I recommend keeping the following parts on hand:

ITEM / QTY
APERTURE SIGHT / 4
BAND, FRONT / 5
BARREL, RIFLE / 6
GUIDE, CARTRIDGE CLIP / 2
LOCK, CONNECTOR / 10
PIN, CONNECTOR LOCK / 10
PIN, SPRING / 2
BASE: REAR SIGHT / 2
BOLT AND ROLLER ASSEMBLY / 6
RETAINER BOLT ROLLER / 10
ROLLER / 10
EJECTOR, CARTRIDGE WITH SPRING / 12
EXTRACTOR / 8
PIN, FIRING / 20
PLUNGER, EXTRACTOR W/ PRING / 15
CONNECTOR ASSEMBLY / 8
COVER, REAR SIGHT / 2
CYLINDER, GAS, RIFLE / 4
HAND GUARD ASSY W/ REAR BAND / 4
GUARD, TRIGGER / 4
GUIDE, OPERATING ROD / 10
GUIDE, OPERATING ROD, SPRING / 10
HAMMER: FIRING / 4
HOUSING, HAMMER SPRING / 2
HOUSING ASSEMBLY, TRIGGER / 4
LATCH, MAGAZINE / 5
PIN, SPRING, MAGAZINE LATCH / 9
SPRING, MAGAZINE LATCH / 5
KNOB: WINDAGE, REAR SIGHT / 4
LOCK, BOLT / 5
LOCK, GAS CYLINDER / 4
LOCK, SELECTOR SHAFT / 5
MAGAZINE / 1000
NUT, PLAIN, ROUND: FLASH SUPPRESSOR / 5
PIN, HAMMER / 4
PIN, SPRING / 10
PIN, SPRING CLIP GUIDE / 2
PIN, SPRING / 20
PIN, SPRING / 50
PIN, TRIGGER / 4
PINION ASSEMBLY, REAR SIGHT ELEVATING / 4
SCREW, REAR SIGHT / 2
PISTON: GAS CYLINDER / 4
PLUG, GAS CYLINDER / 4
RELEASE, SEAR / 5
ROD, OPERATING / 8
SAFETY, CATCH / 2
SCREW, CAP, SOCKET HEAD / 2
SETSCREW, DOG POINT / 10
SELECTOR / 5
SHAFT, SELECTOR / 5
SIGHT, FRONT / 2
SPINDLE, VALVE / 5
SPRING, BOLT LOCK / 5
SPRING, HAMMER / 4
SPRING, OPERATING ROD / 5
SPRING, SAFETY / 5
SPRING, SELECTOR / 5
SPRING, VALVE / 10
STOCK ASSEMBLY / 10
SCREW, BUTT PLATE, LONG / 2
SCREW, BUTT PLATE, SHORT / 2
SWIVEL, BUTT / 2
RIVET / 10
WASHER / 8
SCREW, LINER / 8
SWIVEL, FRONT ASSY / 2
SUPPRESSOR, FLASH / 5
TRIGGER AND SEAR / 4

Thanks from hytekrednek and XM25Ren
lysander is offline  
Old May 13th, 2020, 08:31 AM   #26
Snappin In
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Michigan
Posts: 21
the old saying goes: 1 is none and 2 is one!

migunshooter is online now  
Old May 13th, 2020, 02:02 PM   #27
Platoon Sergeant
 
deuceguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 350
If you are getting bolt rollers and retainers, then you'll need the pliers (dimensions available on this site) and a rubber mallet. Then there is the patience to learn how to install them. After 20 or 30 bolts and some biblical passages, it becomes a 2 hit process. Then there is the challenge for those who have replace the bolt rollers on the left hand rifles.

deuceguy is offline  
Old May 13th, 2020, 02:35 PM   #28
No social life
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 10,355

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by lysander View Post
I recommend keeping the following parts on hand:

ITEM / QTY
APERTURE SIGHT / 4
BAND, FRONT / 5
BARREL, RIFLE / 6
GUIDE, CARTRIDGE CLIP / 2
LOCK, CONNECTOR / 10
PIN, CONNECTOR LOCK / 10
PIN, SPRING / 2
BASE: REAR SIGHT / 2
BOLT AND ROLLER ASSEMBLY / 6
RETAINER BOLT ROLLER / 10
ROLLER / 10
EJECTOR, CARTRIDGE WITH SPRING / 12
EXTRACTOR / 8
PIN, FIRING / 20
PLUNGER, EXTRACTOR W/ PRING / 15
CONNECTOR ASSEMBLY / 8
COVER, REAR SIGHT / 2
CYLINDER, GAS, RIFLE / 4
HAND GUARD ASSY W/ REAR BAND / 4
GUARD, TRIGGER / 4
GUIDE, OPERATING ROD / 10
GUIDE, OPERATING ROD, SPRING / 10
HAMMER: FIRING / 4
HOUSING, HAMMER SPRING / 2
HOUSING ASSEMBLY, TRIGGER / 4
LATCH, MAGAZINE / 5
PIN, SPRING, MAGAZINE LATCH / 9
SPRING, MAGAZINE LATCH / 5
KNOB: WINDAGE, REAR SIGHT / 4
LOCK, BOLT / 5
LOCK, GAS CYLINDER / 4
LOCK, SELECTOR SHAFT / 5
MAGAZINE / 1000
NUT, PLAIN, ROUND: FLASH SUPPRESSOR / 5
PIN, HAMMER / 4
PIN, SPRING / 10
PIN, SPRING CLIP GUIDE / 2
PIN, SPRING / 20
PIN, SPRING / 50
PIN, TRIGGER / 4
PINION ASSEMBLY, REAR SIGHT ELEVATING / 4
SCREW, REAR SIGHT / 2
PISTON: GAS CYLINDER / 4
PLUG, GAS CYLINDER / 4
RELEASE, SEAR / 5
ROD, OPERATING / 8
SAFETY, CATCH / 2
SCREW, CAP, SOCKET HEAD / 2
SETSCREW, DOG POINT / 10
SELECTOR / 5
SHAFT, SELECTOR / 5
SIGHT, FRONT / 2
SPINDLE, VALVE / 5
SPRING, BOLT LOCK / 5
SPRING, HAMMER / 4
SPRING, OPERATING ROD / 5
SPRING, SAFETY / 5
SPRING, SELECTOR / 5
SPRING, VALVE / 10
STOCK ASSEMBLY / 10
SCREW, BUTT PLATE, LONG / 2
SCREW, BUTT PLATE, SHORT / 2
SWIVEL, BUTT / 2
RIVET / 10
WASHER / 8
SCREW, LINER / 8
SWIVEL, FRONT ASSY / 2
SUPPRESSOR, FLASH / 5
TRIGGER AND SEAR / 4
Is that the Depot Level kit?

Thanks from hytekrednek and Cowtownscout
KurtC is offline  
Old May 13th, 2020, 03:07 PM   #29
Dodgin' The Reaper
 
Ted Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Jacksonville, OR
Posts: 7,386

Awards Showcase

I think lysander is planning on building some more rifles...

Ted Brown is offline  
Old May 13th, 2020, 11:11 PM   #30
Lifer
 
hytekrednek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Northport, AL, USA
Posts: 4,258
dont forget spare receivers and spare stocks. A few extra bolts and barrels too

Never mind. Just get a few spare rifles, piles of mags, and a ton or so of ammo.

hytekrednek is offline  
Reply

  M14 Forum > M14 M1A Forum > The M14

Moderator Tools
Display Modes




Top Gun Sites Top Sites List