Rifle shooting at 300 meters - Page 2 - M14 Forum
M14 Forum Keeping the M14 tradition alive!  

Rifle shooting at 300 meters

This is a discussion on Rifle shooting at 300 meters within the Foreign forums, part of the Gun Forum category; CLASSIC12, do you have anywhere that you can go down a side road in the low population area and shoot towards an empty forest or ...


Go Back   M14 Forum > Gun Forum > Foreign

37Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Moderator Tools Display Modes

Old May 21st, 2020, 12:39 AM   #16
Honorary M14 Lifer
 
m14brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The Pyrite State (for now)
Posts: 15,868

Awards Showcase

CLASSIC12, do you have anywhere that you can go down a side road in the low population area and shoot towards an empty forest or mountain, and set up your own targets, meaning not an official range? Or is that illegal?
m14brian

Thanks from JEFFJP_N_JJ and CLASSIC12
m14brian is offline  
Remove Ads
Old May 21st, 2020, 09:40 AM   #17
Lifer
 
smoothy8500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Clemente, California
Posts: 2,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMMAC View Post
Wow... I'm glad I don't have your situation.
Having a bad day?

Thanks from bigbang and Duce
smoothy8500 is online now  
Old May 21st, 2020, 10:08 AM   #18
Dodgin' The Reaper
 
RAMMAC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Montana
Posts: 9,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothy8500 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMMAC View Post
Wow... I'm glad I don't have your situation.
Having a bad day?
Why no, I'm not, are you?

Thanks from MuppetMeat4Me
RAMMAC is offline  
 
Old May 21st, 2020, 03:36 PM   #19
Platoon Commander
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShooter View Post
What does the head stamp say on both of that ammunition?

Just a T for the ammo factory in the city of Thun and the year of production

GP11



GP 90


CLASSIC12 is offline  
Old May 21st, 2020, 03:37 PM   #20
Platoon Commander
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMMAC View Post
Wow, $50 to use a range, by appointment, for 45 minutes every week and a half, 6 months out of the year. I'm glad I don't have your situation.

Well the appointment and 45 minutes limit is due to Covid-19 situation : we can only use 4 out of 8 lanes, so this is a fair way of giving more members a chance to shoot. In normal times there is no need for appointments and no time limit.

Thanks from Duce and MuppetMeat4Me
CLASSIC12 is offline  
Old May 21st, 2020, 03:39 PM   #21
Platoon Commander
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by m14brian View Post
CLASSIC12, do you have anywhere that you can go down a side road in the low population area and shoot towards an empty forest or mountain, and set up your own targets, meaning not an official range? Or is that illegal?
m14brian

I think its against the law to shoot on public land. You can shoot on your private property under certain conditions pertaining to noise and disturbances, safety, restricted access etc..

Thanks from Louis1332 and m14brian
CLASSIC12 is offline  
Old May 21st, 2020, 03:47 PM   #22
Dodgin' The Reaper
 
TheShooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NA
Posts: 5,089

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLASSIC12 View Post
Just a T for the ammo factory in the city of Thun and the year of production

GP11



GP 90

Does that factory have anything to do with saltech 7.62x51?

Thanks from CLASSIC12
TheShooter is offline  
Old May 21st, 2020, 03:49 PM   #23
Dodgin' The Reaper
 
TheShooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NA
Posts: 5,089

Awards Showcase

Have you seen this swiss made ammunition before?

Thanks from CLASSIC12
TheShooter is offline  
Old May 22nd, 2020, 08:01 AM   #24
Platoon Commander
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShooter View Post
Does that factory have anything to do with saltech 7.62x51?


Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShooter View Post
Have you seen this swiss made ammunition before?


I saw local shops selling Swiss Saltech 7.62 X 51 ammo but I am not familiar with the brand

I did some research though : it is not the same factory or company. The federal cartridge plant in Thun was grouped under the RUAG banner, which is owned by the Swiss Gvt.

Saltech is a private company founded in 2002 and they have supplied the Swiss army with 7.62 and .50 cal ammo. They had financial troubles and have been seeking bankruptcy protection (chapter 11 kinda thing).

Their ammo should be high quality stuff I think

Heres their website

https://www.saltech.ch/en/

And some pics of their factory taken from a local newspaper








CLASSIC12 is offline  
Old May 22nd, 2020, 08:33 AM   #25
Dodgin' The Reaper
 
RAMMAC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Montana
Posts: 9,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLASSIC12 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMMAC View Post
Wow, $50 to use a range, by appointment, for 45 minutes every week and a half, 6 months out of the year. I'm glad I don't have your situation.

Well the appointment and 45 minutes limit is due to Covid-19 situation : we can only use 4 out of 8 lanes, so this is a fair way of giving more members a chance to shoot. In normal times there is no need for appointments and no time limit.
I understand but gladly I don't have to deal with any of that nonsense.

I pay $50 per calendar year, can shoot from covered firing points from sunup to sunset, 365 days per year, out to 400 yards for rifle and 50 yards for pistol. I don't have the target scoring equipment that your range has but then I also don't have to deal with all of the noise pollution requirements that you do, as I said, to each their own, I'm sure you are used to that equipment and don't see a problem with it but it's not something that I'd want to deal with. Luckily, since my range services a relatively small community, we haven't had to deal with the overreaching rules that most large cities forced on their population so our range management wasn't required to change their services nor did they overreact to the paranoia and propaganda.

Regardless, I really like the rifles and appreciate your excitement at finally getting out to shoot them.

Thanks from chief on one
RAMMAC is offline  
Old May 22nd, 2020, 03:40 PM   #26
Dodgin' The Reaper
 
TheShooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NA
Posts: 5,089

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLASSIC12 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShooter View Post
Does that factory have anything to do with saltech 7.62x51?


Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShooter View Post
Have you seen this swiss made ammunition before?


I saw local shops selling Swiss Saltech 7.62 X 51 ammo but I am not familiar with the brand

I did some research though : it is not the same factory or company. The federal cartridge plant in Thun was grouped under the RUAG banner, which is owned by the Swiss Gvt.

Saltech is a private company founded in 2002 and they have supplied the Swiss army with 7.62 and .50 cal ammo. They had financial troubles and have been seeking bankruptcy protection (chapter 11 kinda thing).

Their ammo should be high quality stuff I think

Here’s their website

https://www.saltech.ch/en/

And some pics of their factory taken from a local newspaper








Thank you!!!!
I was really hoping the saltech was ran by the same people who make the mils epc GP11 ammo. But unfortunately its not.

I tested the saltech and it was very good ammo. Accuracy was right around 1.5 inch at 100.

They were using stick powder.

Thanks from CLASSIC12
TheShooter is offline  
Old May 22nd, 2020, 06:59 PM   #27
Platoon Commander
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: niagara region, ontario
Posts: 504
Ruag makes excellent brass for reloading.

Thanks from CLASSIC12
blutrident is offline  
Reply

  M14 Forum > Gun Forum > Foreign

Moderator Tools
Display Modes




Top Gun Sites Top Sites List