Non-vets wearing military bling? - Page 10 - M14 Forum

M14 Forum


Non-vets wearing military bling?

This is a discussion on Non-vets wearing military bling? within the Veterans Affairs forums, part of the Armed Services category; Just to clear all of this up. You should, at the very least, be jump qualified to vote....


Go Back   M14 Forum > Armed Services > Veterans Affairs

422Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Moderator Tools Display Modes

Old December 30th, 2016, 09:24 PM   #136
Platoon Sergeant
 
ColdWarPigGnR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Southeast, PA
Posts: 386
Just to clear all of this up.
You should, at the very least, be jump qualified to vote.

Thanks from Rich D and WaM14gunner
ColdWarPigGnR is offline  
Remove Ads
Old December 31st, 2016, 03:19 AM   #137
Dodgin' The Reaper
 
nf1e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Preston,CT
Posts: 7,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaM14gunner View Post
More than happy to engage with the good folks here. And yes I had planned on being done with this back then but when I saw what looked to be an insult to me, I responded. Again if I was wrong, my bad. But I wasn't wrong was I? There are lots of good folks here and few jerks too, same as any forum. Now I will walk away from this. Will you?
Jerk # responding.
WaM14gunner, it is not all about you or me or any particular individual. No need to take a little banter between members so personal. Relax and just be part of the team. Yes , most veterans do accept most civilians as part of the team. I believe it is good for all to listen to others and attempt to understand where they are coming from.
Rather than walking away, please allow the conversation to continue and progress toward a better solution for all. Maybe just read the thread's progression for a time.
I don't know about others here, but for me, I was almost afraid to let anyone know I was a Viet Nam vet for 20 plus years after I came home. For the last 30, I have learned to be proud of it and never stop blabbing about my service.
Just don't let me catch you wearing military insignia in my neighborhood unless you have earned it.

Happy to be a civilian.

Semper Fi
ArtB

Thanks from CAVman, XUSNORDIE, 4Quangs and 2 others
nf1e is offline  
Old December 31st, 2016, 05:20 AM   #138
Scout Sniper
 
Majikani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: South Florida, or offshore GOM
Posts: 818

Awards Showcase

Wow. I left this thread about six pages back 'cause I thought there was nothing else to say. I was right but that sure didn't stop some folks!

The interesting thing is that I believe everyone here agrees with the OP that nobody should wear rank, insignia, awards or other "bling" they haven't earned. And that "gear" including basic camo worn because it is useful or appropriate doesn't fall into this category. So what else is there to say?

Unfortunately some jackasses have to keep pissing all over everything to show that it is "theirs", like this thread. Some of our longest term members are the worst. Oh, and a new mebers opinion can be just as valid as yours, this isn't a frat you know..

Yes, nf1e and XUSNORDIE, I am looking at you. Art, you seem to have a special knack for sinking to the bottom of every conversation, as shown below. I realize that you are not serious (well, I hope not) but stirring up this seems to be your primary form of entertainment and that is sad...

"I realize we all have rights in this country whether we earn them or not. Someone has to do the dirty work. Took me a few years to learn to respect scummy civilians after being taught they were totally worthless and lower than whale doo doo. There happens to be a percentage that are OK. Some members on this forum are excellent examples."

Get over yourselves men. If you need further direction follow ArmyPilot's lead. He seems to have the healthiest attitude here!

Out.

Thanks from nf1e, swagbrdr and ArmyPilot

Last edited by XXIV Corps; December 31st, 2016 at 09:02 AM. Reason: ROE #11, Inappropriate Language, we want this community to be family friendly for all generations.
Majikani is offline  
 
Old December 31st, 2016, 05:51 AM   #139
Platoon Sergeant
 
jerryS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 341
Next thing you know, vets will be taking umbrage at non vets posting in this thread because this is the VA forum.

jerryS is offline  
Old December 31st, 2016, 06:00 AM   #140
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
 
CAVman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: WYoming
Posts: 10,665

Awards Showcase

I think it would be good if we not assume that all Veterans think and act alike, nor do all Non-Veterans...
Most often, Individual's statements and actions are...just that.

CAVman in WYoming

Thanks from smleenfield and 00F4B
CAVman is offline  
Old December 31st, 2016, 06:16 AM   #141
Old Salt
 
Rich D's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Big Sky Country
Posts: 1,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVman View Post
I find all this increasingly Bizarre!

Are you saying Only Dead Veterans are worthy of Respect ?

Are you saying 'Stolen Valor' is Not An Issue To Veterans?

WTH?



CAVman in WYoming
How the hell can you "steal" valor? It sure isn't an issue to me, and I saw(and still see) my best friend get vaporized 2 days before Christmas '67, when he hit 30 pounds of plastic with a jackhammer. Nobody can steal his valor.
There are no "special" people. We humans are all equal, and a civilian has just as much right to make an ass out of himself as a vet. I bet there are a lot of vets wearing cowboy hats who wouldn't know the front of a horse from the part they resemble! As far as a special brotherhood of vets, forget it. I am not a brother with the sexists, racists, homophobes and just haters in general that I met in the service, and meet now as a "fellow" vets.
Now, about respect. Wearing the uniform does not mean you earn respect. A lot got drafted and fought like hell to stay out, do they earn less respect? Then there are the William Calley's of the world. How much should I respect them. Then you have the guys that joined, but used their connections to stay out of combat. Do I have to respect them? Respect is earned not granted.

Rich D is offline  
Old December 31st, 2016, 06:30 AM   #142
Dodgin' The Reaper
 
nf1e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Preston,CT
Posts: 7,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majikani View Post
Wow. I

Unfortunately some jackasses have to keep pissing all over everything to show that it is "theirs", like this thread. Some of our longest term members are the worst. Oh, and a new mebers opinion can be just as valid as yours, this isn't a frat you know..

Yes, nf1e and XUSNORDIE, I am looking at you. Art, you seem to have a special knack for sinking to the bottom of every conversation, as shown below. I realize that you are not serious (well, I hope not) but stirring up this seems to be your primary form of entertainment and that is sad...

"I realize we all have rights in this country whether we earn them or not. Someone has to do the dirty work. Took me a few years to learn to respect scummy civilians after being taught they were totally worthless and lower than whale doo doo. There happens to be a percentage that are OK. Some members on this forum are excellent examples."

Get over yourselves men. If you need further direction follow ArmyPilot's lead. He seems to have the healthiest attitude here!

Out.
Jackass 1 reporting for duty Sir.
That was exactly my point. The comments about scummy civilians and lower than whale doo doo were some of the finer things some of us were fed in boot camp, not before and not after. It takes time for some of us to realize that everything we learned in the service was not just so. When a person is in the process of preparing himself or herself for war, what is taught in training is generally taken as gospel. Only after a period of time are we able to set some of that aside. Most of us that volunteered had no idea of what was to come. We have done our part and sometimes take offence at those that have not enjoyed our experiences yet find it necessary to offend honor and pride. There are exceptions to every rule. Now many years later seeing posers wearing military gear brings back feelings that had previously been set aside and have to be dealt with.
Just try to imagine returning from 13 months in a combat area after losing 40 lbs celebrated your 19th and 20th birthdays,Thanksgiving,Christmas and Easter and seeing some of the most discusting sights and smells imaginable only to have some dickwad wearing a bedsheet at LAX throw a cup of blood on you and your brand new uniform. Then to have a civilian cop tell you that the idiot was just protesting and within his rights. Give us a break eh. I know, the past is the past and glad to see it where it belongs.
As for causing things to sink to the bottom, I think some start at the bottom and if sinking to that level is required to get a point across, so be it.
La la land only exists for some because of the sacrifice of others.

Viva America

Semper Fi
ArtB

Thanks from GARRARD, 4Quangs and Majikani

Last edited by XXIV Corps; December 31st, 2016 at 09:05 AM.
nf1e is offline  
Old December 31st, 2016, 06:33 AM   #143
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
 
CAVman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: WYoming
Posts: 10,665

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich D View Post
How the hell can you "steal" valor? It sure isn't an issue to me, and I saw(and still see) my best friend get vaporized 2 days before Christmas '67, when he hit 30 pounds of plastic with a jackhammer. Nobody can steal his valor.
There are no "special" people. We humans are all equal, and a civilian has just as much right to make an ass out of himself as a vet. I bet there are a lot of vets wearing cowboy hats who wouldn't know the front of a horse from the part they resemble! As far as a special brotherhood of vets, forget it. I am not a brother with the sexists, racists, homophobes and just haters in general that I met in the service, and meet now as a "fellow" vets.
Now, about respect. Wearing the uniform does not mean you earn respect. A lot got drafted and fought like hell to stay out, do they earn less respect? Then there are the William Calley's of the world. How much should I respect them. Then you have the guys that joined, but used their connections to stay out of combat. Do I have to respect them? Respect is earned not granted.
Well, I did just post a few minutes ago that not all Veterans think alike !



For those that really don't know how 'valor can be stolen':

http://www.stolenvalor.com

It means a hell of a lot to ME, and to MOST Vietnam Veterans I know.

Just as that 'Wall' in D.C. Means something to me that I could write about for hours and still not fully explain...

I see that you have more than your share of anger and bitterness and I can't and won't try to minimize that...

I Respect Your Service, and Your Right to Your Opinions, and I trust you will do the same for Me...

CAVman in WYoming

Thanks from XXIV Corps, sac troop, nf1e and 2 others
CAVman is offline  
Old December 31st, 2016, 07:00 AM   #144
Old Salt
 
Rich D's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Big Sky Country
Posts: 1,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by nf1e View Post
to have some dickwad wearing a bedsheet at LAX throw a cup of blood on you and your brand new uniform. Then to have a civilian cop tell you that the idiot was just protesting and within his rights.
You are the first vet I ever heard from that actually had that happen. And you let a simple cop stop you from taking action? Most cops I knew back then would have helped. Guys I knew, most were Marines in my neighborhood, would have dined on hippie meat, cop or no cop. I actually found the opposite true. Hippies kept their distance, rather than confront me. Too bad.


Last edited by XXIV Corps; December 31st, 2016 at 07:50 AM.
Rich D is offline  
Old December 31st, 2016, 07:09 AM   #145
Dodgin' The Reaper
 
nf1e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Preston,CT
Posts: 7,124
[quote=Rich D;2369001]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nf1e View Post
to have some dickwad wearing a bedsheet at LAX throw a cup of blood on you and your brand new uniform. Then to have a civilian cop tell you that the idiot was just protesting and within his rights. /QUOTE]

You are the first vet I ever heard from that actually had that happen. And you let a simple cop stop you from taking action? Most cops I knew back then would have helped. Guys I knew, most were Marines in my neighborhood, would have dined on hippie meat, cop or no cop. I actually found the opposite true. Hippies kept their distance, rather than confront me. Too bad.
I wasn't the only one that happened to.
While we were still in the aircraft, representatives of the military came on board and warned us that if anyone touched one of these protesters that the Army guys would go to Leavenworth and the Marines would be headed one way to Portsmouth.

nf1e is offline  
Old December 31st, 2016, 07:16 AM   #146
Squad Leader
 
Jay Jacobs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Canton, GA
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdWarPigGnR View Post
Just to clear all of this up.
You should, at the very least, be jump qualified to vote.

:) LOL

Jay Jacobs is offline  
Old December 31st, 2016, 07:18 AM   #147
Squad Leader
 
Jay Jacobs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Canton, GA
Posts: 267
I do have to wonder how some here manage proper breathing and trigger control......

when they have little to no emotion control


And on the internet no less

Thanks from GARRARD and XUSNORDIE
Jay Jacobs is offline  
Old December 31st, 2016, 07:27 AM   #148
Old Salt
 
Rich D's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Big Sky Country
Posts: 1,668
[quote=nf1e;2369049]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich D View Post

I wasn't the only one that happened to.
While we were still in the aircraft, representatives of the military came on board and warned us that if anyone touched one of these protesters that the Army guys would go to Leavenworth and the Marines would be headed one way to Portsmouth.
A Marine to Portsmouth for fighting in self defense upon arriving from Vietnam! That would have been a first. A good Navy lawyer would have gotten you a medal.
A few of my buddies dropped me off the day I joined. When they walked out of the induction center in Chicago, there were a bunch of protestors. My buds beat the living crap(a couple were ex-Marines) out of the protestors. All the protestors were arrested. My mom sent me the headline and story from the Sun Times when I was in boot.
You are still the first that I've ever heard from that had that happen. I do ask, too.

Thanks from nf1e
Rich D is offline  
Old December 31st, 2016, 07:40 AM   #149
Dodgin' The Reaper
 
nf1e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Preston,CT
Posts: 7,124
[quote=Rich D;2369161]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nf1e View Post

A Marine to Portsmouth for fighting in self defense upon arriving from Vietnam! That would have been a first. A good Navy lawyer would have gotten you a medal.
A few of my buddies dropped me off the day I joined. When they walked out of the induction center in Chicago, there were a bunch of protestors. My buds beat the living crap(a couple were ex-Marines) out of the protestors. All the protestors were arrested. My mom sent me the headline and story from the Sun Times when I was in boot.
You are still the first that I've ever heard from that had that happen. I do ask, too.
Fall of 1968 was a pretty hard time to come back to the world after what went on during the Summer across the country, I understand that. My wife had written to me during the year just so I would have an idea of what to expect.
I had a brother in law that upon getting his draft notice ran crying to Canada and has been there ever since. There is a special place in my heart for cowards.

Thanks from NWDave
nf1e is offline  
Old December 31st, 2016, 07:57 AM   #150
Old Salt
 
Rich D's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Big Sky Country
Posts: 1,668
[quote=nf1e;2369233]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich D View Post

Fall of 1968 was a pretty hard time to come back to the world after what went on during the Summer across the country, I understand that. My wife had written to me during the year just so I would have an idea of what to expect.
I had a brother in law that upon getting his draft notice ran crying to Canada and has been there ever since. There is a special place in my heart for cowards.
I got back from Hue City right after Tet. Sitting in the Philippines next morning after leaving, having a beer, saw stories on TV about Tet starting the night before. Got to Hawaii, and reserves from the states were on their way to Nam, after being activated for Tet. Came back the second time in '69. Even while wearing military garb in college, I never had a protestor confront me personally. I wonder what I would have done.

Thanks from nf1e and NWDave
Rich D is offline  
Reply

  M14 Forum > Armed Services > Veterans Affairs


Search tags for this page

po2 crow

Click on a term to search for related topics.

Moderator Tools
Display Modes


Similar M14 Forum Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Marine Corps is "the worst branch of the military to enlist in" TNTRower Marines 105 April 22nd, 2015 12:19 PM
You gotta check this out normannewguy Army 18 May 1st, 2013 09:35 PM
Obama to cut healthcare benefits for active duty and retired US military GARRARD Veterans Affairs 51 March 3rd, 2012 06:19 PM



Top Gun Sites Top Sites List