Veteran Wife - Page 2 - M14 Forum

M14 Forum


Veteran Wife

This is a discussion on Veteran Wife within the Veterans Affairs forums, part of the Armed Services category; Well my DD form 214 doesn't have everything on it, mainly because the missing medals I qualified for were approved after I retired. The GWAT ...


Go Back   M14 Forum > Armed Services > Veterans Affairs

24Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Moderator Tools Display Modes

Old August 19th, 2016, 03:10 PM   #16
Old Salt
 
dsdmmat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 1,515
Well my DD form 214 doesn't have everything on it, mainly because the missing medals I qualified for were approved after I retired. The GWAT and KSM were approved after 2003 in order to get them put on my record I would have to send in for a correction which is really not worth my time to do so.

Begin sarcasm:
And don't you be eyeing my space shuttle door gunners badge, that was a top secret project that even I wasn't supposed to know about but, thanks to the Clinton server fiasco even the Chineese government knows about it. /sarcasm

Thanks from unkola
dsdmmat is offline  
Remove Ads
Old August 19th, 2016, 03:29 PM   #17
Old Salt
 
bustedknuckles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,981

Awards Showcase

I just found this thread and just wanted to say sorry about your luck and keep your head up!
I know a couple with the same issues, I can't stand a liar, particularly a habitual one. Same thing I'd tell the lady I know if she asked my opinion, your better off without him.

bustedknuckles is offline  
Old August 19th, 2016, 03:34 PM   #18
Platoon Sergeant
 
ifithitu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 355
Welcome to the forum.

ifithitu is offline  
 
Old August 19th, 2016, 04:53 PM   #19
Old Salt
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by XUSNORDIE View Post
He's not worth your time to research in my opinion.....shows all the signs of a mentally unbalanced poser.....
I concur.

rickgman is offline  
Old August 19th, 2016, 05:25 PM   #20
Platoon Sergeant
 
Dick Kahrs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 320
Walk away! Better yet, run away!

Dick Kahrs is offline  
Old August 19th, 2016, 08:25 PM   #21
Platoon Commander
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: central NC
Posts: 420
Well I can't comment on the Army aspect as I was Air Force for over 17 years (medically retired) but I don't believe that people who don't complete training get discharged for something like unable to conform to military lifestyle and get a general discharge but aren't considered as military member and as such don't receive a DD214. I completed my tech school back in March 1991 so I have a hard time remembering details that long ago. I do remember 2 people in my basic training flight who didn't make it through were basically "let go" and it was like they weren't even in the military as far as future employers were concerned. Now as far as your husband...he sounds like an Army lover who is taking things WAY too far and is to the point that he believes his own crap. You nailed it when you said he was a habitual liar and one day it will come crashing down on him hard and it won't be pretty.

Mattitude is offline  
Old August 19th, 2016, 08:41 PM   #22
Master Gunner
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Murrieta, DPRKalifornia
Posts: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00F4B View Post
Maybe you just didn't look in the right place.
I have kept up with it, because I was a Drill Sergeant at Fort Bliss many years ago and some of my old partners in crime made El Paso their home after retirement.

This is from Wikipedia:

While the United States Army Air Defense Artillery School develops doctrine and tactics, training current and future soldiers has always been its core mission. Until 1990 the post was used for Basic Training and Advanced Individual Training (AIT), under the 1/56 ADA Regiment, part of 6th ADA. Before 1989, 1/56 had three basic training companies and two AIT batteries. After 1990, 1/56 dropped basic training, that mission assumed by Fort Sill.
Probably did miss it. While we were there for the maneuvers, (Phantom Shield-'75), we were working at Biggs AAF with some 9th-I.D. intel guys and set up in a tent city. We did cruise the base for a look-see and saw the AIT guys, but never saw any BCT trainees. In '74 when I went in, there was no OSUT yet. I went to Ft.Polk for basic (In the summer, mid-July to the first week of Sept.), and we had a lot of different MOS's in my company including future ADA guys. What I can say about Ft.Bliss is that it's one dusty, windy post!!! -Lloyd

Thanks from 00F4B
unkola is offline  
Old August 19th, 2016, 09:29 PM   #23
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: California
Posts: 8
Thank you to all of you for your input and response. A bit if history, my husband turns 31 this month so he's definitely pretty young. We started dating back in 2003ish I was about 16. He volunteered all the military information himself, he gave me his dog tags to wear, his metal army chevron PFC pins (from my research soldiers don't even wear those?). I basically found out the dog tags are fake. I have spoken to his side of the family and asked about his 'army days' and I was met with a lot of confusion. He sustained a back injury over the years and told me his doctor said he sees a lot of these types of back problems in soldiers due to jumping out of helicopters during basic training. Now, his aunt whose husband is retired air force told me my husband was never in the army. He was in ROTC and enlisted pending his high school graduation, he never finished school and dropped out so his enlistment was then voided. Since my initial post I found all of this new information out. Needless to say I was super upset. I called him out on it and he claims it's all true and he will prove it, although I know he's got none. I told him about the fake dog tags and he said in the army he can put whatever info he wants on them. I found out they are fake because his phone number and address were on it. I even told him it was impossible for him to complete basic training in Texas and he still stands by it. He knows he's caught and instead of coming clean turned the tables on me and making me appear to be the crazy one that I have an abnormal obsession with trying to frame all this on him making him out to be a liar. I'll admit living with someone who lies this much is enough to drive anyone crazy. This also isn't the first time, last year he told my family on a sheriff ride along when he was trying to get hired a deputy gave him a gun and in responding to a call he actually shot and killed a suspect, he a civilian, non sworn officer, an average Joe in a ride along was given a gun. He has told multiple people he served in the army as a 91W combat medic and supposedly only a few people know the story about his record supposedly getting expunged due to going AWOL. Now I'm finding out no such service ever took place, not even boot camp. He never made it past the enlistment phase.

We also have two small children a 6 and 3 year old he has told stories about his time in the army and boasts about being a soldier. It makes me sick. I have utmost respect for military personnel, I have told him multiple time he should have just actually tried again after they let him go (back when I thought that story was true) but he always said the first time around was the hardest thing he has ever done, he won't do it again. Well, he never did it in the first place and apparently has also never been to Texas even though his dream was to move our family there one day due to his fond memories of being in basic training there.

I needed a safe place to let this all out. I'm very frustrated and confused as to why someone would do this, I also feel stupid for believing it but at 16 I really didn't know any better, now I do. In some ways I'm also scared, he has based almost his entire identity on this lie and has kept it up for 14 years. I've also discovered possible infidelity in our marriage on his part which he also claims never happened but at this point if he's willing to live this military lie for 14 years what else is he willing to lie about. As hard as this is, I went from being a stay at home Mom to now raising my two children essentially alone as I am requesting sole custody due to his lying habits I'm also relieved that since our separation I'm not living with a husband who lies to my face on a daily basis.

Once again thank you all, I feel a significant weight off my shoulders because I even though I doubted his story a large part of me wanted to believe him.

Lisswentz is offline  
Old August 19th, 2016, 09:49 PM   #24
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: California
Posts: 8
Thanks for all of your input and responses.
A bit of back story my husband turns 31 this year so heís pretty young. In the past few years heís had a back problem went to the doctor and came home telling me the doctor said he sees a lot of these types of injuries from soldiers due to jumping out of helicopters during basic and it doesnít manifest itself until one is older. I met him when I was about 16 and my husband on his own accord gave me his army dog tags and metal chevron PFC insignias (from my research soldiers donít even wear these). I had no reason not to believe him back then. Since my previous post I spoke to his Aunt who said he was never in the army. Her husband who was in the air force tried to help my husband enlist. He was enlisted pending his high school graduation, my husband dropped out of school so therefore his enlistment was voided and thatís as far as it went. I found out the dog tags are fake because his phone number and address are on it. The chevron pins Iím pretty sure were ordered or bought from somewhere. I was upset and called him out and heís still claiming its all true and making me out to be a crazy person calling him a liar for something he actually did. I even told him he couldnít have completed his boot camp in Texas but heís still sticking to it. Being married to him for so long I know he knows heís caught but he will never admit it. This also isnít the first time heís done something like this. Last year during the sheriff dept ride along in the hiring process he told several people a deputy gave him a loaded gun to Ďprotect himselfí and while responding to a call my husband claimed to have shot and killed a suspect. He was a non-sworn officer in a ride along, no way in a million years would the department arm him. But his lies were so convincing I believed him against my better judgement.
We have two small children a 3 and 6 year old whom heís told multiple stories about his army days. My 3 year old son loves all things related to soldiers and looks up to his dadÖit makes me sick that someone could do this. Heís lived this lie for 14 years. I have heard him tell so many people and he drove for uber for awhile and I have read reviews of customers thanking him for his service to our country. Not only am I frustrated Iím also scared of what else heís capable of fabricating and hiding. Why someone would do this is beyond me, and Iím embarrassed that person is (soon to be ex) husband because I hold military personnel in very high regard and teach my children to treat them with respect.
Thank you for being a safe place for me to ask questions because itís been all very confusing.

Lisswentz is offline  
Old August 20th, 2016, 07:27 AM   #25
Squad Leader
 
00F4B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by unkola View Post
Probably did miss it. While we were there for the maneuvers, (Phantom Shield-'75), we were working at Biggs AAF with some 9th-I.D. intel guys and set up in a tent city. We did cruise the base for a look-see and saw the AIT guys, but never saw any BCT trainees. In '74 when I went in, there was no OSUT yet. I went to Ft.Polk for basic (In the summer, mid-July to the first week of Sept.), and we had a lot of different MOS's in my company including future ADA guys. What I can say about Ft.Bliss is that it's one dusty, windy post!!! -Lloyd
I did basic at Polk too. July and August. The humidity was so high you could SEE the air. Biggs AAF was where the Drill Sergeant School was. All PT, running and Drill was out there on the tarmac IN JULY!!!! DS School was about 4 times more intense than basic but it lasted only 4 weeks.

I drive by Ft. Bliss a couple of years ago and it looked like a totally different world from the one I knew there.

Thanks from unkola
00F4B is offline  
Old August 20th, 2016, 07:34 AM   #26
Old Salt
 
dsdmmat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 1,515
Well I never saw a helicopter in basic training of course I went in 1983. I was a Huey mechanic for the first 3 years and a black hawk mechanic for the next 17 about 12 years of my career I was on flight status and a crew chief. Never once did we go near a basic training unit. Never once did I hear from any pilot or fellow crew chief about picking up basic training troops.

I did get my first helicopter ride in Advanced individual training (Huey school) about 6 weeks into my training at fort Rucker but nothing at basic training.

OP I am sorry you are going through your situation, I hope it all works out in the end.

Thanks from unkola
dsdmmat is offline  
Old August 20th, 2016, 07:51 AM   #27
Lifer
 
Stevie Ray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Florida's Treasure Coast
Posts: 2,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00F4B View Post
Maybe you just didn't look in the right place.
I have kept up with it, because I was a Drill Sergeant at Fort Bliss many years ago and some of my old partners in crime made El Paso their home after retirement.

Can't forget about basic training in Ft Sill, OK either. It's very near Texas and I can certainly tell you without a doubt in my mind that place gets hotter'n hell from June until Sept ... at least it did in 1976!

Thanks from XXXMarine and unkola
Stevie Ray is offline  
Old August 20th, 2016, 07:56 AM   #28
Platoon Commander
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: central NC
Posts: 420
Lisswentz, you will be wasting your time if you continue to pursue trying to get your husband to come clean as it will never happen. I've never seen an issue dog tag with an address & phone number on it...yea 100% fake and no military branch will let you put anything you want on a dog tag. Personally I hated basic training and there wasn't one fond memory, but it wasn't what I would call hard as a lot of it deals with mental coping skills & attention to detail and there is no way in hell that I would want to move to San Antonio just so I could be near Lackland AFB. I never heard of any Army recruit jumping out of helicopters in boot camp.

There is a whole scam that guys do claiming to be military solely to prey on women, and they are very good at it. Some of these guys have either tried to enlist, dropped out of boot camp or had a family member in the military so they will have some knowledge to sound like they know what they are talking about but there are still some things that you can do to vet at least some of their claims. If they claim to still be enlisted ask to see their ID card, now called a CAC. Dog tags don't count for anything. Ask for a duty phone number or at least a phone number in his unit. Just about every military person I know has enough pictures of them either in a deployed location or at least some pictures of them doing "military" stuff in uniform and with other soldiers/airmen. If he doesn't have a single picture then I'd be VERY suspicious, and don't fall for that classified crap...guys still find a way to take pictures, and they do. Anyway, good luck and focus your energy on your kids and write your husband off as a total loss and a mistake and move on. You weren't the first and won't be the last to fall for the fake military guy.

Mattitude is offline  
Old August 20th, 2016, 07:58 AM   #29
Lifer
 
XUSNORDIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Undetermined State of America (USA)
Posts: 2,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisswentz View Post
Thank you to all of you for your input and response. A bit if history, my husband turns 31 this month so he's definitely pretty young. We started dating back in 2003ish I was about 16. He volunteered all the military information himself, he gave me his dog tags to wear, his metal army chevron PFC pins (from my research soldiers don't even wear those?). I basically found out the dog tags are fake. I have spoken to his side of the family and asked about his 'army days' and I was met with a lot of confusion. He sustained a back injury over the years and told me his doctor said he sees a lot of these types of back problems in soldiers due to jumping out of helicopters during basic training. Now, his aunt whose husband is retired air force told me my husband was never in the army. He was in ROTC and enlisted pending his high school graduation, he never finished school and dropped out so his enlistment was then voided. Since my initial post I found all of this new information out. Needless to say I was super upset. I called him out on it and he claims it's all true and he will prove it, although I know he's got none. I told him about the fake dog tags and he said in the army he can put whatever info he wants on them. I found out they are fake because his phone number and address were on it. I even told him it was impossible for him to complete basic training in Texas and he still stands by it. He knows he's caught and instead of coming clean turned the tables on me and making me appear to be the crazy one that I have an abnormal obsession with trying to frame all this on him making him out to be a liar. I'll admit living with someone who lies this much is enough to drive anyone crazy. This also isn't the first time, last year he told my family on a sheriff ride along when he was trying to get hired a deputy gave him a gun and in responding to a call he actually shot and killed a suspect, he a civilian, non sworn officer, an average Joe in a ride along was given a gun. He has told multiple people he served in the army as a 91W combat medic and supposedly only a few people know the story about his record supposedly getting expunged due to going AWOL. Now I'm finding out no such service ever took place, not even boot camp. He never made it past the enlistment phase.

We also have two small children a 6 and 3 year old he has told stories about his time in the army and boasts about being a soldier. It makes me sick. I have utmost respect for military personnel, I have told him multiple time he should have just actually tried again after they let him go (back when I thought that story was true) but he always said the first time around was the hardest thing he has ever done, he won't do it again. Well, he never did it in the first place and apparently has also never been to Texas even though his dream was to move our family there one day due to his fond memories of being in basic training there.

I needed a safe place to let this all out. I'm very frustrated and confused as to why someone would do this, I also feel stupid for believing it but at 16 I really didn't know any better, now I do. In some ways I'm also scared, he has based almost his entire identity on this lie and has kept it up for 14 years. I've also discovered possible infidelity in our marriage on his part which he also claims never happened but at this point if he's willing to live this military lie for 14 years what else is he willing to lie about. As hard as this is, I went from being a stay at home Mom to now raising my two children essentially alone as I am requesting sole custody due to his lying habits I'm also relieved that since our separation I'm not living with a husband who lies to my face on a daily basis.

Once again thank you all, I feel a significant weight off my shoulders because I even though I doubted his story a large part of me wanted to believe him.
This guy needs therapy.....quickly. In my opinion he could be dangerous to himself or others if his imaginary "world" comes crashing down around him and he suddenly finds himself in reality all alone.

Requesting sole custody of the children is smart....please consider a restraining order as well.

You are right, this is a safe place here for you to vent and ask questions for truthful responses/advice.....but we can't protect you from physical harm. He has already abused you enough emotionally.....stop it before it gets worse. Erase this guy from your life....I still think "serious" full time Posers are mentally ill and need help.

Get with his family. Suggest an "intervention" of some form and demand he seek help.

Thanks from Stevie Ray, unkola and Lisswentz
XUSNORDIE is offline  
Old August 20th, 2016, 08:13 AM   #30
Lifer
 
m1sniper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 2,410
Names, addys and next of kin were removed from dog tags back in WW2 (1943 IIRC from a friends book on the history of dog tags) as the Germans would pick them up off POWs or the dead and send letters and such to the relatives here in the states to cause great distress.

m1sniper is offline  
Reply

  M14 Forum > Armed Services > Veterans Affairs

Moderator Tools
Display Modes


Similar M14 Forum Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sailor needs Help !! Jarhead0331 Veterans Affairs 8 April 4th, 2006 01:40 PM



Top Gun Sites Top Sites List