Petitioning Magpul for an M14 Stock - Page 2 - M14 Forum

M14 Forum


Petitioning Magpul for an M14 Stock

This is a discussion on Petitioning Magpul for an M14 Stock within the Stock forums, part of the Rifle Forum category; Originally Posted by Snyper762 They are. Seems that the newer batches have slightly different bolt catch engagement tabs. Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk Is ...


Go Back   M14 Forum > Rifle Forum > Stock

17Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Moderator Tools Display Modes

Old January 24th, 2017, 07:20 AM   #16
Rifleman
 
Pvt Wojtek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Montana
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyper762 View Post
They are. Seems that the newer batches have slightly different bolt catch engagement tabs.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Is there a way to identify them?

Pvt Wojtek is offline  
Remove Ads
Old January 24th, 2017, 07:23 AM   #17
Lifer
 
Snyper762's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 4,357
I can't link with my phone yet but look in the ammo section or search CMI issues.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Thanks from Pvt Wojtek
Snyper762 is online now  
Old January 24th, 2017, 07:25 AM   #18
Lifer
 
Wasted ammo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: GA
Posts: 3,707
Search checkmate followers to be more specific. I can't link at this time either.

Thanks from Snyper762 and Pvt Wojtek
Wasted ammo is online now  
 
Old January 24th, 2017, 07:30 AM   #19
Rifleman
 
Pvt Wojtek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Montana
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldo82 View Post
I would love a Magpul stock, but I'm not sold on an M14 PMAG. Every polymer M14 mag I've ever tried got chewed up to the point it no longer fed properly. I'm sure Magpul would be the one to get it right, but I'm thinking there's a reason they haven't done it yet.
It might be possible to build one like a Circle-10 Bulgarian Waffle Mag, i.e. heavy plastic w/ a reinforced knock for rocking into place. Doubt it would be cost efficient though, considering they already make 308 Pmags w/out any metal.

Pvt Wojtek is offline  
Old January 24th, 2017, 07:32 AM   #20
Lifer
 
Wasted ammo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: GA
Posts: 3,707
Someone on here once suggested a metal band at the top of mag, and the rest plastic.

Wasted ammo is online now  
Old January 24th, 2017, 07:37 AM   #21
Rifleman
 
Pvt Wojtek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Montana
Posts: 54
I wouldn't think the design and construction of the stock itself would be all that difficult. It wouldn't need all the features of an Archangel or JAE, but merely consist of a plastic aluminum-bedded version of the USGI stock in the mold of a Macmillan pattern stock or Magpul Hunter 700. Like other stocks, no need to worry about the top handguard.

Pvt Wojtek is offline  
Old January 24th, 2017, 07:37 AM   #22
Lifer
 
Wasted ammo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: GA
Posts: 3,707
I agree with other, we need another stock option! If you want a new one that looks normal it's wood or SAI plastic, or it is 100% tactical or target. Would be mice to have a quality stock option that was useful for more than just one thing. Don't get me wrong I love a wood Stock. But a lot of us would like to see this magpul thing take off. What kind of furniture is SAI using on their new AR rifles?

Wasted ammo is online now  
Old January 24th, 2017, 07:45 AM   #23
Master Gunner
 
ArmyPilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: El Paso TX
Posts: 887
If they could build a composite stock that is stiffer than a USGI fiberglass, with some kind of bedding block/s, that doesn't break the average Joe's bank, it would sell.
Keep it simple but upgrade-able, make them black. If someone wants a different color that's what paint/duracoat/hydrodip is for.

Thanks from Wasted ammo
ArmyPilot is online now  
Old January 24th, 2017, 07:48 AM   #24
Old Salt
 
swagbrdr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Missoula, MT
Posts: 1,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyper762 View Post
There is money to be made. Magpul does indeed sell well. Team up with springfield =$

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
I think over the long term, sure. However, it will be a trickle vs. AR, AK, and Rem 700 furniture. That's just a reality due to shear volume.

To accomplish this task, they would have to:

1. Divert R&D time and money to make a usable Gen 1 stock. This could be expensive and very time consuming.

2. Start selling stocks!!! My guess is this would be to the open market prior to a large contract to SAI, or another manufacture. I'm also assuming many M14/M1A owners don't modify their rifle when they pick it up from their LGS. Moreover, there is a huge crowd in this community that like to keep things rustic with steel and wood.

3. Convince SAI and/or the military, their stock is THE way to go over other existing options. Yes, they have their name and reputation to work from, but this seems like a challenge nonetheless. Going back to Sage...when I threw my loaded into that chassis, it was a fairly painless process, and it did produce great results immediately, albeit it was pricey. It seems this was the case for the military as well. So, there is legit competition already....Sage, JAE, Blackfeather, McMillon, etc....

So, with all that being said, I would love to see what they could produce for our beloved rifle. I'll even jump on the petition to them as well. But......I'm not holding my breath it's going to happen.

swagbrdr is offline  
Old January 24th, 2017, 07:57 AM   #25
Rifleman
 
Pvt Wojtek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Montana
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagbrdr View Post
I think over the long term, sure. However, it will be a trickle vs. AR, AK, and Rem 700 furniture. That's just a reality due to shear volume.

To accomplish this task, they would have to:

1. Divert R&D time and money to make a usable Gen 1 stock. This could be expensive and very time consuming.

2. Start selling stocks!!! My guess is this would be to the open market prior to a large contract to SAI, or another manufacture. I'm also assuming many M14/M1A owners don't modify their rifle when they pick it up from their LGS. Moreover, there is a huge crowd in this community that like to keep things rustic with steel and wood.

3. Convince SAI and/or the military, their stock is THE way to go over other existing options. Yes, they have their name and reputation to work from, but this seems like a challenge nonetheless. Going back to Sage...when I threw my loaded into that chassis, it was a fairly painless process, and it did produce great results immediately, albeit it was pricey. It seems this was the case for the military as well. So, there is legit competition already....Sage, JAE, Blackfeather, McMillon, etc....

So, with all that being said, I would love to see what they could produce for our beloved rifle. I'll even jump on the petition to them as well. But......I'm not holding my breath it's going to happen.
I wouldn't consider the SAGE EBR stock to be competition in the sense that a BMW wouldn't compete directly with a Nissan. Magpul hunter retails for an average of $265. I'm simply hoping to convince them to make materially the same type of stock in a different cut or pattern. To your point, R&D would need to be recouped, these things don't design themselves.


Last edited by Pvt Wojtek; January 24th, 2017 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Removed linked photos of chassis.
Pvt Wojtek is offline  
Old January 24th, 2017, 08:48 AM   #26
Old Salt
 
swagbrdr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Missoula, MT
Posts: 1,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvt Wojtek View Post
I wouldn't consider the SAGE EBR stock to be competition in the sense that a BMW wouldn't compete directly with a Nissan. Magpul hunter retails for an average of $265. I'm simply hoping to convince them to make materially the same type of stock in a different cut or pattern. To your point, R&D would need to be recouped, these things don't design themselves.


You're absolutely correct that price does separate some of these stocks into different markets.

The trend I've seen on aftermarket stocks has been:

1. Utilize a stock ferule and the front band. These tend to be higher priced than the factory offerings but lower than:

2. Stocks that eliminate the ferule/front band connection. These are often the chassis type of stocks. They are pricey, but often yield great results.

3. I'm not sure if there's a third option...help me out here someone.

So, Magpul would have to figure out which way to go here and still come in at a very low price point. This would be fairly difficult with existing options out there. The price you mentioned for the 700 stock would likely be far less than an M14 version simply from the design differences. What makes the 700 stock reasonably easier to design is bedding the receiver only and having a free floating forend...that's it really...they didn't really reinvent the wheel here. They just do it cheaper than many other vendors. They're able to produce a decent stock, at a reasonable price, for a high volume platform. Can they mirror those sales for the M14/M1A? Again, doubtful.

But that's my take. How about you give them a call and ask them? I'm sure we'd all be curious on their response.

swagbrdr is offline  
Old January 24th, 2017, 08:52 AM   #27
Old Salt
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,483
Define lightweight?

Are you trying to cut a few ounces? Short of buying a sai(polyjunk) or ag composite there are no stocks, that I know of, lighter than the typical usgi wood or fiberglass(they are in the same range typically).

We are a niche market so coming in as "economical" would be a challenge. Sub $300 is the range we are shooting for economical?

HardingM14 is offline  
Old January 24th, 2017, 08:56 AM   #28
Rifleman
 
Pvt Wojtek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Montana
Posts: 54
I think it would be best to show the level of excitement or demand first, maybe if we had every user who wanted one to bump this thread with a statement like "I would buy one," then I could send it off to them in an email asking for an official statement. If we had 900+ posts to that effect, it would be difficult not to consider. My fear is that one guy calling up will just get the expected answer.

Pvt Wojtek is offline  
Old January 24th, 2017, 09:00 AM   #29
Rifleman
 
Pvt Wojtek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Montana
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardingM14 View Post
Define lightweight?

Are you trying to cut a few ounces? Short of buying a sai(polyjunk) or ag composite there are no stocks, that I know of, lighter than the typical usgi wood or fiberglass(they are in the same range typically).

We are a niche market so coming in as "economical" would be a challenge. Sub $300 is the range we are shooting for economical?
It wouldn't but lighter, but it would be more durable and comfortable. Sub $350 would be a fair price.

Pvt Wojtek is offline  
Old January 24th, 2017, 10:29 AM   #30
Dodgin' The Reaper
 
danthman114's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Yuma, Az
Posts: 5,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyper762 View Post
There is money to be made. Magpul does indeed sell well. Team up with springfield =$

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
springfield already teamed up with the archangel stock guys.

Thanks from swagbrdr
danthman114 is offline  
Reply

  M14 Forum > Rifle Forum > Stock

Moderator Tools
Display Modes


Similar M14 Forum Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Here are the M14 stock blueprints Jmaq Reference 13 March 30th, 2017 04:52 PM
MAGIC VS SCIENCE ... conventional glass bedding VS OP ROD GUIDE FOREARM TENSIONING? Lazerus2000 Accuracy 9 July 23rd, 2015 08:37 PM
Bad mouthing m14 THREE RINGS The M14 83 September 2nd, 2014 03:12 PM
USGI NM Stocks pezboy The M14 4 July 22nd, 2007 03:32 AM



Top Gun Sites Top Sites List