I was contacted by a forum member to work on a M1A1 stock. I have recently been reading a lot about the M1 Carbine and the awesome effort many companies made to produce the M1 Carbine for WW II so I told the owner I would do what I could to repair the stock.
This stock has some serious issues but I just kept working on it until I got her serviceable again [this was a very interesting challenge].
I only repaired this stock and did not refinish it - I just cleaned it and buffed it out a little retaining the historical finish.
I took the folding stock off and the stock was split on both sides in the back long ago - the remaining chunk in the middle was held in place with Acraglas or some similar bonding agent. When I took the folding stock apart the middle chunk of wood just fell out on to my bench.
So I took a step back, put on some good music and came op with a plan.
* I cleaned the stock - a lot at the repair points
* I worked on the back first - I was able to get two brass pins on each side of the back and also used Marine-Tex to bond the splits.
* I got another brass pin on the bottom side near the mag well to stop that crack. Three brass pins in total.
* on one side of the stock I was faced with (multiple cracks on top of each other in the op rod travel area - I was able to get marine-tex between them, clamp it then I floated the area behind it with marine-tex to provide strength. (I could make this look better if I refinished the stock, but it's pretty good and should be strong).
* I filled a big chunck missing in the barrel band area and rounded it out so it was similar to the original contour - it looks perfect now and is very strong.
* The front right of the stock had a split piece of wood that had to be removed and built up and reinforced near the barrel band.
This one was a good challenge, but I think I won and it should be very serviceable. This stock will be used by the owners son and she looks like a M1A1 stock with some real battle scars.
Below are some pics with comments:
Here are some pics after removing the folding stock and prior to doing the repairs: The middle piece between the sides just fell out when I removed the folding stock. Here she is with the repairs made and all clamped up to dry. I had a lot of repairs going on, but I was able to get good solid traction with the repairs. You can see the rear repair clamp, the repair clamp in the op rod travel area (three layers of cracks there), the form I used to build up the right front near the barrel band and building up the chunk in the barrel band area where the barrel lays flat.
Now some pics finished: You can see repair pin #1 in the rear to hold the middle piece of wood.
Repair pin #2 on the right rear to hold the center chunk of wood. You can see repair pin #3 up near the mag well area on the side - a crack was starting but I got a solid brass pin in that area as you have some wood to work with...