M14 Forum

Frog Lube Paste

This is a discussion on Frog Lube Paste within the The M14 forums, part of the M14 M1A Forum category; I can't really think of a way to test if this stuff will provide enough protection, so I'm going to just give it a try. ...

Go Back   M14 Forum > M14 M1A Forum > The M14

6Thanks
  • 1 Post By BillyBeards
  • 1 Post By guitarguy774
  • 1 Post By Dredsen
  • 1 Post By slingblade
  • 2 Post By Col. Colt

LinkBack Moderator Tools Display Modes

Old December 31st, 2012, 07:48 PM   #1
In the gilded halls of Valhala

Frog Lube Paste

I can't really think of a way to test if this stuff will provide enough protection, so I'm going to just give it a try.

I don't really think that this will replace my tetra gun grease.

Anyone tried using the paste on our beloveds?

edit - for those that don't read all the posts. The consensus seems to be for now NOT to use this on M1/m14 rifles or m1 carbines.

Last edited by Dredsen; January 1st, 2013 at 11:07 PM.
Remove Ads
Old January 1st, 2013, 08:38 AM   #2
Master Gunner

not M1A at least not yet but love it on my Glocks

Old January 1st, 2013, 08:52 AM   #3
Grunt

I've been using the stuff for about a year now on my pistols and .308 bolt rifle and it's great.
I actually sent a message to the company over this past weekend asked if they have done any testing with the M14/M1a platform but no response yet.
I'll update if they get back to me.

Thanks from saw filer
Old January 1st, 2013, 09:02 AM   #4
Platoon Commander

I love my Froglube. You DO need to heat the gun up before applying it, and it takes a few seasonings to get it in all the way. If you use any petroleum product (that does include grease) on your gun, the Froglube WILL eat away at it. The neat part about the product is that it drys up after a few hours. Once you starting shooting, the gun heats up, and the Froglube gets all wet again. It's the only thing I use on my 1911's and AR's now.

Thanks from saw filer
Old January 1st, 2013, 10:09 AM   #5

Reminds me of this girl i dated about 10 years ago....

Thanks from Fenrir
Old January 1st, 2013, 10:15 AM   #6
Rifleman

AR's and pistols it works great. Not sure I will try it on the M14 though.

Old January 1st, 2013, 10:44 AM   #7
Grunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredsen View Post
Reminds me of this girl i dated about 10 years ago....
naughty boy!!lol

Old January 1st, 2013, 12:45 PM   #8
Fire Team Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy774 View Post
The neat part about the product is that it drys up after a few hours. Once you starting shooting, the gun heats up, and the Froglube gets all wet again.
Does it become noticably wet? With a 1911, wouldnt it hinder your grip after heating up, by getting on your hands?

Old January 1st, 2013, 02:09 PM   #9
Platoon Sergeant

I use it on most places for rust protection and cleaning.

I put grease where grease is supposed to go.

The M14 M1A can get hot. Frog lube has been known to "burn off" at higher temperatures

Old January 1st, 2013, 02:10 PM   #10

the paste has some viscosity but its no tetra gun grease!

Old January 1st, 2013, 06:04 PM   #11
Rifleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatelvis View Post
Does it become noticably wet? With a 1911, wouldnt it hinder your grip after heating up, by getting on your hands?
Just wait until it goes through menopause, it won't get wet on a bet.

Thanks from big bear
Old January 1st, 2013, 06:34 PM   #12
Rifleman

Froglube

I have been using Froglube for the past 9 months on Rem. 870 shotgun, Glock, revolver, 1911, M1 carbine and have been very happy with the performance, as stated by Froglube. I just cleaned and re-lubed M1A w/Froglube Monday to try out. Haven't shot it yet, so I am also interested in anyone else's experience w/Froglube on M14/M1A.

Old January 1st, 2013, 10:52 PM   #13
Platoon Commander

I see a potential "Danger Will Robinson!" on this stuff in our beloved M1/M14s!

This is a bigger deal on Garand style actions than on a simple sliding mechanism like a 1911. "Grease, Rifle", as well as Tetra Grease and other true grease products have been shown to protect and stay "on the gun" under most possible human operating conditions. Those of you that have read about the problems of designing a workable Infantry Rifle for the powerful .30-06 round, and the many designs that failed before the M1, can appreciate the forces involved. The Garand mechanism doesn't just slide, it uses a cam action to open the bolt with the op rod, under a lot of pressure and force. The M1, and the M14 that followed, are engineering and production marvels of a high order. The strict specifications US Ordnance had for everything, down to the lube, made the weapon work, and live. Deviating from their formula should be approached with caution.

The reason I think Dredsen's question is both timely and important is due to some unofficial "research" the gunwriter, Jim Thompson did on protecting an M1 Garand from damage when used with non-milspec loadings.

Thompson was curious about "what would happen" if heavier than normal bullets in commercial loadings were fired in his beloved M1s. So he went to the extreme, buying an unwanted case of 220gr. Winchester/Western Bear Loads in .30-06, 500 rounds from a California dealer to prove a point.

He lubed the subject M1, apparently a somewhat used but good condition standard M1, according to US Ordnance Manual directions - With GREASE -and proceeded to shoot over 450 rounds of these "abusive, heavy bullet bear loads" through this ordinary, "everyman's" M1. Cleaned and inspected it. No unusual wear or damage, anywhere, at all.

He then stripped off the grease, throughly, and relubed with oil - ONLY. The weapon seized up, with damage, in, as I recall from his book, SEVEN ROUNDS!!!

So I would proceed with caution, and not get hooked into the latest "Fad Lube" on anything I cared about. (There seems to be about one new lube a year, these days - for better or for worse.)

We know Tetra Grease works on an M1/M14. We are sure about rifle grease, and probably any good auto moly grease is likely OK. But if Froglube is affected by heat, or if it "burns off" - I won't be trying it on anything from the Garand family.

Those brave souls who want to be in the Vangard, using the newest and latest thing - have at it. Do a few long, hard rapid fire strings and take some measurements. I'll wait until you report back! CC

PS - Thanks for noting this, Dredsen. You and I differ occasionally, but I really am glad you mentioned this. You may save a number of people from damaging a very expensive (and possibly irreplacable!!) rifle. CC

Thanks from big bear and Dredsen

Last edited by Col. Colt; January 1st, 2013 at 11:04 PM.
Old January 1st, 2013, 11:06 PM   #14

Thanks, I have not put it on my m1a, it is a "greasy" product, but its not thick enough, and goes thin just from the simple friction of racking the slide quickly.

The liquid is excellent for cleaning stuff that you don't want to put foul smelling solvent, or oil on.

Smells like wintergreen or mint, so its great for cleaning plastic, rubber, and aluminum parts.

I cleaned my surefire mag and aim point rubber cover and it worked great.

Old January 2nd, 2013, 06:25 AM   #15
Platoon Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatelvis View Post
Just where the parts heat up. The slide, barrel, and rails start to become lubricated after it heats up. Its enough to run the carbon out of the gun, but not enough that it's dripping. Now I suppose if you shot it enough to get the frame hot, it would do the same thing. I tend to not notice it anyway. My 1911 uses the Kimpro finish, and it's already slicker than snake oil

M14 Forum > M14 M1A Forum > The M14

Search tags for this page
can you use frog lube and tetra gun grease together?

frog lube

frog lube m1 garand
frog lube m1a
frog lube on m1a
frog lube paste as a slide lube

froglube

froglube garand

froglube m1 garand

froglube m1a

is frogblube a grease

m1 garand frog lube

Click on a term to search for related topics.

Moderator Tools

Similar M14 Forum Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Frog Lube and your m1a. rabidus Modern M14 26 September 9th, 2013 02:00 AM
Frog Lube???? WarCop Modern M14 30 February 18th, 2013 05:06 AM
Cerakote Dry Lube Finish SGTPinder The M14 8 October 7th, 2012 04:54 AM
Frog Lube on an M1A? that guy Modern M14 1 July 18th, 2012 04:39 AM

Top Gun Sites Top Sites List