Aimpoint pro for M1A standard? - M14 Forum

M14 Forum


Aimpoint pro for M1A standard?

This is a discussion on Aimpoint pro for M1A standard? within the Optics forums, part of the Gun Forum category; Hello everyone! As my introduction post has stated I may be interested in the near future to put an optic on my rifle. I know ...


Go Back   M14 Forum > Gun Forum > Optics

12Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Moderator Tools Display Modes

Old January 25th, 2017, 04:23 PM   #1
Rifleman
 
lefisherman1890's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 48
Aimpoint pro for M1A standard?

Hello everyone! As my introduction post has stated I may be interested in the near future to put an optic on my rifle. I know I will need a mount since my m1a model is the standard model w/ no rails. I was curious if anyone here has mounted an Aimpoint Pro on their standard m1a? And if so what mount is best for this optic.

From what I can see the aimpoint pro w/ its included mount sits high and I am afraid of issues coming from that.

Any suggestions or proven setups?

lefisherman1890 is offline  
Remove Ads
Old January 25th, 2017, 06:09 PM   #2
Lifer
 
USSF06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,604
The lowest profile setup you can achieve using a traditional (over the receiver) mount is an Aimpoint PRO in a low 30mm scope ring using the ARMS 18 scope mount. If you want things lower than that, you'll need to invest in a scout rail.




Thanks from swagbrdr, JoshN, evilgrin and 1 others
USSF06 is online now  
Old January 25th, 2017, 06:11 PM   #3
Lifer
 
Wasted ammo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: GA
Posts: 3,707
+ 1 for aimpoint any optic will likely be riding high on this rifle. There are many to choose from. I have a Bassett high mount which is not the most popular. But with an aimpoint you can quickly aquire close targets and also use your irons.

Wasted ammo is offline  
 
Old January 25th, 2017, 06:20 PM   #4
Master Gunner
 
Lurp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: MN
Posts: 891
I would make sure to take the spacer out on the optic mount for the PRO to help lower it down. What do you intend to do with the rifle and red dot?

Lurp is offline  
Old January 25th, 2017, 06:35 PM   #5
Lifer
 
Wasted ammo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: GA
Posts: 3,707
With what I said I only shot one mag with the aimpoint. Then mounted a leupold 3.5-10x50mm scope.

Wasted ammo is offline  
Old January 25th, 2017, 06:57 PM   #6
Automatic Rifleman
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 134
There are a bunch of Aimpoint photos in this thread: Aimpoint on M1a- M14 An older setup of mine is on page 4. My Aimpoint has always been on an Ultimak M8 rail. It's an exceptionally solid configuration and low enough that a riser was not needed.

Thanks from Wasted ammo
waldo82 is offline  
Old January 25th, 2017, 06:57 PM   #7
Old Salt
 
swagbrdr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Missoula, MT
Posts: 1,499
Larue makes a QD low mount that looks useable too.

swagbrdr is offline  
Old January 25th, 2017, 08:22 PM   #8
Rifleman
 
lefisherman1890's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurp View Post
I would make sure to take the spacer out on the optic mount for the PRO to help lower it down. What do you intend to do with the rifle and red dot?
Thank you everyone! Well my eyes are an issue. I have always had poor eye sight and although I did surprisingly well on my first outing with the m1a at 50-100 yards, I plan to put an optic on it in the near future but I was just seeing out my options. Where I shoot there is not much land so I really don't need a scope however I will still consider it.

The aimpoint was an interest because I saw it on Black Hawk Down .
and figured it would help me in target acquisition.

One other question, whether I put on a red dot or a rifle scope, I will more than likely have to use a cheek riser right?

lefisherman1890 is offline  
Old January 25th, 2017, 09:31 PM   #9
Old Salt
 
swagbrdr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Missoula, MT
Posts: 1,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefisherman1890 View Post
Thank you everyone! Well my eyes are an issue. I have always had poor eye sight and although I did surprisingly well on my first outing with the m1a at 50-100 yards, I plan to put an optic on it in the near future but I was just seeing out my options. Where I shoot there is not much land so I really don't need a scope however I will still consider it.

The aimpoint was an interest because I saw it on Black Hawk Down .
and figured it would help me in target acquisition.

One other question, whether I put on a red dot or a rifle scope, I will more than likely have to use a cheek riser right?
Yes on the cheek riser.

swagbrdr is offline  
Old January 26th, 2017, 02:54 AM   #10
Old Salt
 
Killashrub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Polk County, Florida
Posts: 1,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by USSF06 View Post
The lowest profile setup you can achieve using a traditional (over the receiver) mount is an Aimpoint PRO in a low 30mm scope ring using the ARMS 18 scope mount. If you want things lower than that, you'll need to invest in a scout rail.



I like USSF06's setup with aimpoint more than scout rail. I just think the scout rail is ugly. And this setup is how the M14 was designed to have optics mounted.

Killashrub is offline  
Old January 26th, 2017, 05:38 AM   #11
Rifleman
 
lefisherman1890's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killashrub View Post
I like USSF06's setup with aimpoint more than scout rail. I just think the scout rail is ugly. And this setup is how the M14 was designed to have optics mounted.

I agree! It just seems out of place to have a scope or red dot right on top of the barrel.

I wonder with this low mount if the aimpoint will cowitness with the front sight.

I still have a lot more research to do!

lefisherman1890 is offline  
Old January 26th, 2017, 06:06 AM   #12
Old Salt
 
swagbrdr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Missoula, MT
Posts: 1,499
I'll third you guys on looks.

swagbrdr is offline  
Old January 26th, 2017, 06:24 AM   #13
Lifer
 
USSF06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefisherman1890 View Post
I agree! It just seems out of place to have a scope or red dot right on top of the barrel.

I wonder with this low mount if the aimpoint will cowitness with the front sight.

I still have a lot more research to do!
No, the only way to cowitness a red dot on the M14 is by utilizing a scout rail.

USSF06 is online now  
Old January 26th, 2017, 06:28 AM   #14
Grunt
 
Jackinape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MOntana
Posts: 117
ar 001.jpg

Aimpoint on a m1a NO irons are too good,thats why I got me a AR.

Jackinape is offline  
Old January 26th, 2017, 06:59 AM   #15
Lifer
 
evilgrin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Land of 10K Lakes
Posts: 2,179
Hey USSF06, what kind of scope ring did you use for your Aimpoint?

Also OP, if your budget allows, you can get an Aimpoint Micro and that, with it's lowest mount, should sit even lower than a PRO.

evilgrin is offline  
Reply

  M14 Forum > Gun Forum > Optics

Moderator Tools
Display Modes


Similar M14 Forum Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
When does my 168 go subsonic? danthman114 Bolt Action 56 November 7th, 2016 07:42 AM
9115 M1a Super Match question classicshooter The M14 2 April 10th, 2016 11:59 AM
NIB Aimpoint PRO with LaRue Tactical Mount tworaes SPF 2 January 19th, 2016 08:43 PM
Trijicon 1x25mm MRO - $443.70 shipped or Aimpoint Pro Patrol - $377.10 shipped Gun.Deals Gun.Deals 0 September 7th, 2015 03:51 PM
Aimpoint Pro on Scout Squad toiletfighter The M14 5 February 11th, 2014 05:31 PM



Top Gun Sites Top Sites List