Best way to scope my M1A( got my mount ) - Page 3 - M14 Forum

M14 Forum


Best way to scope my M1A( got my mount )

This is a discussion on Best way to scope my M1A( got my mount ) within the Optics forums, part of the Gun Forum category; +1 for Bassett picatinny High mount for speed and if you can work a chin weld for the scope so you can immediately drop to ...


Go Back   M14 Forum > Gun Forum > Optics

14Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Moderator Tools Display Modes

Old December 19th, 2016, 12:34 PM   #31
Lifer
 
Dougboffl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Sonshine State, JC
Posts: 2,276
+1 for Bassett picatinny

High mount for speed and if you can work a chin weld for the scope so you can immediately drop to cheek weld and use the irons.

Low mount if you can't do the chin weld and don't mind spending a few minutes to remove the Bassett/scope & Bradley cheek riser to use the irons.

Dougboffl is offline  
Remove Ads
Old December 19th, 2016, 12:37 PM   #32
Lifer
 
Wasted ammo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: GA
Posts: 2,059
I put it on and tried it out, I didn't get too really shoot like I wanted too due to rain. But so far I am very pleased with it. I got the high and with a 50mm scope I just can see the irons,not the best sight picture but it would work in a pinch.

Wasted ammo is online now  
Old February 11th, 2017, 02:56 PM   #33
Snappin In
 
Hemi45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Florida
Posts: 20
Having just ordered my Scout Squad and turning my attention to scope mounts - I'm glad I found this thread!

Just to recap; for dedicated scope use, Sadlak is the way to go. If I want to swap the mount on/off or use irons simultaneously, one of the Basset models would work well.

Neither requires permanent mods to the receiver.

Also, the GDI is a damn nice mount but too spendy for me.

(PS, I know it's a scout with a scout rail but I bought it for the 18" bbl, not a low power LER. All apologies to the purists - lol.)


Last edited by Hemi45; February 11th, 2017 at 04:10 PM.
Hemi45 is offline  
 
Old February 13th, 2017, 09:04 AM   #34
Platoon Sergeant
 
Eagle7840's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Inver Grove Hgts, Minnesota
Posts: 380
If you budget is limited for a nice scope check out the Vortex Viper line 30mm tube and 50mm bell. Their upper end optics are exceptional without breaking the bank and they are very clear and sharp and bing in the daylight during those low lit shooting times. Plus Vortex offers a lifetime no fault replacement/repair warranty.

Eagle7840 is offline  
Old February 13th, 2017, 10:52 AM   #35
Grunt
 
Stevep51d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Nanning
Posts: 118
Scope mount

I saw in a earlier post don't get the SEI mount? Is there a particular problem with them..I have one and don't have any issues...

Stevep51d is online now  
Old February 13th, 2017, 01:42 PM   #36
Fire Team Leader
 
Redneck Yankee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Ridgefield, Connecticut
Posts: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevep51d View Post
I saw in a earlier post don't get the SEI mount? Is there a particular problem with them..I have one and don't have any issues...
SAI mount doesn't fully set in the receiver grooves. At least mine doesn't. I made my own mount with a groove instead of a lug, (have a patent pending on it), then put a bead of acraglas in it and the receiver groove, affixed it to the rifle, and had a perfect fit. I compared the dimensions of the glass bedding lugs to the Gen 3 lugs and found the Gen 3 could only seat halfway down into the groove. Add that issue to the thumbscrew hole being oversize and not always centered and it can cause one to affix the mount to the rifle incorrectly if not extremely careful. Sometimes not at all.

Thanks from Stevep51d and Wasted ammo
Redneck Yankee is online now  
Old February 13th, 2017, 02:24 PM   #37
Lifer
 
Wasted ammo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: GA
Posts: 2,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck Yankee View Post
SAI mount doesn't fully set in the receiver grooves. At least mine doesn't. I made my own mount with a groove instead of a lug, (have a patent pending on it), then put a bead of acraglas in it and the receiver groove, affixed it to the rifle, and had a perfect fit. I compared the dimensions of the glass bedding lugs to the Gen 3 lugs and found the Gen 3 could only seat halfway down into the groove. Add that issue to the thumbscrew hole being oversize and not always centered and it can cause one to affix the mount to the rifle incorrectly if not extremely careful. Sometimes not at all.
Could you post a picture of your mount? I'm curious about it. I'm a tinkerer my self.

Wasted ammo is online now  
Old February 13th, 2017, 05:25 PM   #38
Fire Team Leader
 
Redneck Yankee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Ridgefield, Connecticut
Posts: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasted ammo View Post
Could you post a picture of your mount? I'm curious about it. I'm a tinkerer my self.
I'm really itching to post pics because they really are so innovative. I have three styles: Red dot/reflex mount, short/mid-range, and long range. So I don't go off topic I'll PM you.

Redneck Yankee is online now  
Old February 13th, 2017, 05:27 PM   #39
Lifer
 
Wasted ammo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: GA
Posts: 2,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck Yankee View Post
I'm really itching to post pics because they really are so innovative. I have three styles: Red dot/reflex mount, short/mid-range, and long range. So I don't go off topic I'll PM you.
I am in no way attempting to take from you. More like hoping to give you some business!

Wasted ammo is online now  
Reply

  M14 Forum > Gun Forum > Optics


Search tags for this page

socom

Click on a term to search for related topics.

Moderator Tools
Display Modes


Similar M14 Forum Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Variable scope vs Fixed Scope for M1A SPQR Optics 40 March 3rd, 2013 11:46 PM
Want To Buy: Quality 1.0" Scope Rings For Mounting Onto A Sadlak M1A Scope Mount bnz43 Want To Buy 1 February 7th, 2013 04:12 PM
Socom 16 scope mount on full size M1A... Lucien417 Accuracy 5 December 14th, 2012 06:38 PM
New m1a! but need scope mount and flash supressor. Any ideas on these? donut132 The M14 13 December 10th, 2012 01:39 AM
M1A Scope Mount WWDHD Optics 23 October 26th, 2009 08:34 AM



Top Gun Sites Top Sites List