Opinions of bubbas grinding off of heelstamp on Norinco M14 - Page 2 - M14 Forum

M14 Forum


Opinions of bubbas grinding off of heelstamp on Norinco M14

This is a discussion on Opinions of bubbas grinding off of heelstamp on Norinco M14 within the The M14 forums, part of the M14 M1A Forum category; Why on earth would you even pick that nasty looking thing up?...


Go Back   M14 Forum > M14 M1A Forum > The M14

34Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Moderator Tools Display Modes

Old April 14th, 2017, 09:33 AM   #16
Lifer
 
Glashaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,873
Why on earth would you even pick that nasty looking thing up?

Glashaus is offline  
Remove Ads
Old April 14th, 2017, 09:49 AM   #17
Old Salt
 
WaM14gunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Washington
Posts: 1,338
If someone had handed that rifle to me even with all its writing still present, it would be all I could do to not vomit on my shoes.

WaM14gunner is online now  
Old April 14th, 2017, 10:25 AM   #18
Scout Sniper
 
DudleyDR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Idaho
Posts: 845
It was a stupid thing to do because there is no valid reason for that removal (IMO) and there is most often no cure for stupid, granted. The only "cure" that I know of is listening to experienced elders and/or learning from one's own experience(s), but that is not a sure thing. I do believe that it can be cleaned up and used w/o worry. It may be for sale because the owner knows it was a bone-headed thing to do - now, or it has bigger problems.

Who among you believes that the whole of the receiver is heat treated to give strength to the top of its heel? Not I. Most heat treating goes to a depth of 0.0015". Even if the heat treat is removed from the heel top, it is still a forged receiver with superior grain alignment in the steel, so I would not worry about that. It is really a non issue.

As to the serial number present. Serial numbers have patterns. The configuration of that number will tell one who manufactured the receiver. I do not see a major problem there...unless it comes back to a 1960's Renault.

I would not want a buggered rifle as I do not need another project. I would not have a problem buying the right Chinese rifle, just not that one.

DudleyDR is online now  
 
Old April 14th, 2017, 10:31 AM   #19
Lifer
 
Buelligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 4,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardheaded View Post
A fella could put it back on with a dremmel that's what Norinco did
It would look factory done if
Make 3 crooked lines
Make your font size get bigger as you go across
Make your B look like a 8
My serial number is engraved by hand as well.
I don't know if you were trying to be funny, but this one of the funniest things I've ever read here.

Thanks from DudleyDR, ray55classic and wiz1997
Buelligan is offline  
Old April 14th, 2017, 10:47 AM   #20
Rifleman
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: AZ Arizona
Posts: 52
Could this be a Canadian rifle that walked across the border - and somehow the heel markings would have easily determined this

Thanks from geardocVME2
SadieLady is offline  
Old April 14th, 2017, 10:49 AM   #21
Lifer
 
Capona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieLady View Post
Could this be a Canadian rifle that walked across the border - and somehow the heel markings would have easily determined this
Could be all kinds of possibilities, none are good. That's the point of avoiding it.
I wouldn't take it for free.

Thanks from geardocVME2
Capona is offline  
Old April 14th, 2017, 10:57 AM   #22
Lifer
 
sac troop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Cascadia Fault Oh-my!
Posts: 2,062
No point in having anything to do with this rifle. Serial number still being present with the other information removed from the receiver would still put you in jail in some States.
If you still think this rifle is a bargain, factor in the cost of talking to a knowledgeable attorney who specializes in the National and your States firearms laws first.

Thanks from ray55classic
sac troop is offline  
Old April 14th, 2017, 11:20 AM   #23
Grunt
 
604flyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by sac troop View Post
No point in having anything to do with this rifle. Serial number still being present with the other information removed from the receiver would still put you in jail in some States.
If you still think this rifle is a bargain, factor in the cost of talking to a knowledgeable attorney who specializes in the National and your States firearms laws first.
This. ^^

604flyer is offline  
Old April 14th, 2017, 11:26 AM   #24
Rifleman
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: ohio
Posts: 69
I dont usually put my 2 cents in but I have a norinco receiver that has no markings other than a serial number on it does this make it illegal ????

mike daniels is offline  
Old April 14th, 2017, 11:47 AM   #25
Snappin In
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Culberson NC 28906 Cherokee Co NC USSA
Posts: 39
Advise the owner to turn it over to ATF.

geardocVME2 is offline  
Old April 14th, 2017, 11:50 AM   #26
Professional Slacker
 
ripsaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 2,282
Mike Daniels question first. It depends on if it came that way originally Mike, or if someone removed any markings. If original, no problem, if removed, big problem.

OP's question, this is absolutely, without question, illegal contraband. Run, don't walk, to the nearest exit.

Removing the model number is a felony offense. Standing there holding it for photo op may be too.....read, possession.
Or as the law states,..... "Under your control..."

This forum also has rules about discussing illegal activities I think.....suggesting fixing it, is just that, illegal. Doesn't matter if it is exactly like it was before when you are done, the fact remains that it was contraband to begin.

Not notifying the proper authorities of facts currently within your knowledge, of a crime being committed, is called an accessory after the fact, and punishable by imprisonment. Maybe that pic will disappear from here quickly.

Not trying to be a stick in the mud guys, just trying to save you a lot of heartache in the future. But these are the facts. Get rid of it. Smash it, Melt it, beat it with sledge hammers, then bury it or throw it in the ocean. Once the model number was scrubbed off, it became illegal forever. No fixing it.

Thanks from geardocVME2
ripsaw is offline  
Old April 14th, 2017, 11:58 AM   #27
Old Salt
 
lysander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripsaw View Post
Mike Daniels question first. It depends on if it came that way originally Mike, or if someone removed any markings. If original, no problem, if removed, big problem.

OP's question, this is absolutely, without question, illegal contraband. Run, don't walk, to the nearest exit.

Removing the model number is a felony offense. Standing there holding it for photo op may be too.....read, possession.
Or as the law states,..... "Under your control..."

This forum also has rules about discussing illegal activities I think.....suggesting fixing it, is just that, illegal. Doesn't matter if it is exactly like it was before when you are done, the fact remains that it was contraband to begin.

Not notifying the proper authorities of facts currently within your knowledge, of a crime being committed, is called an accessory after the fact, and punishable by imprisonment. Maybe that pic will disappear from here quickly.

Not trying to be a stick in the mud guys, just trying to save you a lot of heartache in the future. But these are the facts. Get rid of it. Smash it, Melt it, beat it with sledge hammers, then bury it or throw it in the ocean. Once the model number was scrubbed off, it became illegal forever. No fixing it.
If it ever had any marking on the heel.

There were some that were blank heels, you know:


Thanks from DudleyDR
lysander is offline  
Old April 14th, 2017, 12:47 PM   #28
Old Salt
 
lysander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,737
Oh, and the ATF has a cookie cutter response to these type of inquiries:

Quote:
It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to transport, ship, or receive, in interstate or foreign commerce, any firearm which has had the importer’s or manufacturer’s serial number, removed, obliterated, or altered or to possess or receive any firearm which has had the importer’s or manufacturer’s serial number removed, obliterated, or altered and has, at any time, been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce.” [18 U.S.C. 922(k)].

We trust this correspondence has been responsive to your inquiry. Should you have any further questions, please feel free to contact your local ATF Industry Operations Office. A list of ATF Office telephone numbers can be found at: http://www.atf.gov/field .

Thank you,

Firearms Industry Programs Branch, ATF
No mention is made of any other markings.

And, if it were illegal to remove the manufacturer's information, then removing the barrel of a Remington 700 or any shotgun would be illegal as that is where all that information resides . . .

lysander is offline  
Old April 14th, 2017, 12:48 PM   #29
Scout Sniper
 
DudleyDR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Idaho
Posts: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by lysander View Post
If it ever had any marking on the heel.

There were some that were blank heels, you know:


Yep...should not presume any "facts" that are not in evidence. It may have been a blank receiver heel. It could be forensicly tested for previous markings - or the lack thereof.

I don't know about all of the doom and gloom presented - maybe yes, maybe no, but the smart thing to do is to avoid that rifle. In so doing you will avoid any of the bad news that may come with it.

DudleyDR is online now  
Old April 14th, 2017, 02:55 PM   #30
Snappin In
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Culberson NC 28906 Cherokee Co NC USSA
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieLady View Post
Could this be a Canadian rifle that walked across the border - and somehow the heel markings would have easily determined this
Wondered about the Canada from the CA prefix.


More than likely Wasted Ammo is correct- it is stolen.

But I can see some of the hicks I've known taking that around and claiming that thar is one of them thar 'Nam bring backs and the man he bought it from killed 68 of them gooks.

geardocVME2 is offline  
Reply

  M14 Forum > M14 M1A Forum > The M14

Moderator Tools
Display Modes


Similar M14 Forum Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
So you wanna work on Chinese M14s? here are few things to know first. Lazerus2000 Gunsmithing 7 February 28th, 2016 07:38 AM
Comparison M14 vs Dragunov SVD spring1898 The M14 51 January 8th, 2015 11:27 AM
Interchangeability of Chinese and USGI M14 Parts Different Reference 10 March 10th, 2013 08:46 PM
Do it yourself M14 gunsmiting? Lazerus2000 Gunsmithing 5 April 23rd, 2011 10:44 AM



Top Gun Sites Top Sites List