My H&R Build starts today !! ( Pic's ) - Page 2 - M14 Forum

M14 Forum


My H&R Build starts today !! ( Pic's )

This is a discussion on My H&R Build starts today !! ( Pic's ) within the The M14 forums, part of the M14 M1A Forum category; Originally Posted by gumby Just a quick question here. When James River takes a forged receiver, chops the tail off, and welds a GI tail ...


Go Back   M14 Forum > M14 M1A Forum > The M14

94Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Moderator Tools Display Modes

Old August 23rd, 2016, 08:37 AM   #16
Lifer
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Nj
Posts: 2,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumby View Post
Just a quick question here. When James River takes a forged receiver, chops the tail off, and welds a GI tail on, do they redo any heat treatment on the receiver? Thx...

No, they are a hack job fly by night company.

SARCASM, of course they do. No one would weld a heat treated receiver , change its integrity by introducing heat, and not welded. These guys are top notch and do everything by the book.

Thanks from nf1e
7 for 1 is offline  
Remove Ads
Old August 23rd, 2016, 08:44 AM   #17
Lifer
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Nj
Posts: 2,228
I just need to add, the op spent good money on his receiver. We all know some of you don't like these and that's fine, noted, opinion respected, move along. Does every single one of these need a comment that the receiver isn't perfect?

For the love of God JRA is welding together two pieces that are 60 years apart in age, metallurgy is different etc.

Got it you don't like them, let's not poo poo something someone spent alot of good hard money on.

7 for 1 is offline  
Old August 23rd, 2016, 08:59 AM   #18
Lifer
 
GardenValley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,837

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 for 1 View Post
I just need to add, the op spent good money on his receiver. We all know some of you don't like these and that's fine, noted, opinion respected, move along. Does every single one of these need a comment that the receiver isn't perfect?

For the love of God JRA is welding together two pieces that are 60 years apart in age, metallurgy is different etc.

Got it you don't like them, let's not poo poo something someone spent alot of good hard money on.
I get really offended when someone empowers himself to tell others to shut up and move along.

GardenValley is offline  
 
Old August 23rd, 2016, 09:45 AM   #19
Old Salt
 
NATOBTHP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 1,271
I've been a certified welder for almost thirty five years. When the receivers haven't one tiny pit and you have to look twice and hard for machining marks then I'll be a player.

NATOBTHP is offline  
Old August 23rd, 2016, 10:23 AM   #20
Lifer
 
bustedknuckles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,037

Awards Showcase

I'm looking forward to seeing it finished. Please keep us updated despite the silly comments.

Thanks from nf1e
bustedknuckles is offline  
Old August 23rd, 2016, 10:37 AM   #21
Dodgin' The Reaper
 
nf1e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Preston,CT
Posts: 6,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustedknuckles View Post
I'm looking forward to seeing it finished. Please keep us updated despite the silly comments.
Me too.

nf1e is online now  
Old August 23rd, 2016, 10:52 AM   #22
Lifer
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Nj
Posts: 2,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenValley View Post
I get really offended when someone empowers himself to tell others to shut up and move along.
As I fellow 1/9 brother I'd think you'd have thicker skin. The op didn't ask you to pick apart his 1000 investment, he was just showing it off.

EVERYONE has stated their opinions on these receivers. They will never be perfect. Porosity is going to exist, blend lines will be visible. Park amplifies imperfections worse than black paint with body filler.

And I never said shut up, I tried to be as polite as possible.

7 for 1 is offline  
Old August 23rd, 2016, 10:58 AM   #23
Banned Camp
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South
Posts: 2,019

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 for 1 View Post
They will never be perfect. Porosity is going to exist, blend lines will be visible.
I have a welded TRW Hahn receiver that is as perfect as you will find! Absolutely NO porosity and can't tell where the two halves were joined!

Thanks from Roadkingtrax and XM25Ren
Circlehook is offline  
Old August 23rd, 2016, 11:23 AM   #24
Lifer
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Nj
Posts: 2,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circlehook View Post
I have a welded TRW Hahn receiver that is as perfect as you will find! Absolutely NO porosity and can't tell where the two halves were joined!
Same metal, same receiver, just welded. Apples and Oranges.

Thanks from m1sniper
7 for 1 is offline  
Old August 23rd, 2016, 11:30 AM   #25
Lifer
 
XM25Ren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Land of the Free
Posts: 3,859

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circlehook View Post
I have a welded TRW Hahn receiver that is as perfect as you will find! Absolutely NO porosity and can't tell where the two halves were joined!

Sir would you please sell me your Hahn receiver or at the least send me pictures so I can dream.

Ren

Thanks from Circlehook
XM25Ren is offline  
Old August 23rd, 2016, 11:34 AM   #26
Banned Camp
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South
Posts: 2,019

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 for 1 View Post
Same metal, same receiver, just welded. Apples and Oranges.
I'll give you that, but the weld has ZERO porosity. Which would be one of my main concerns.

Circlehook is offline  
Old August 23rd, 2016, 01:01 PM   #27
Lifer
 
bustedknuckles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,037

Awards Showcase

Some of you fellows are showing the M14 world your asses, and making me wonder about the status of the M14 world, are we really turning into a bunch of gun snob's here? Makes me want to get on a AK forum.
This man started a thread about his new receiver, and his HRA parts that'll make a rifle that he wants. Also, he seems very happy with his project, so as a group of respectable folks that we ought to be here, we ought to be encouraging to the build instead of being condescending.
if he'd have started his thread asking opinions these replies would be warranted.

bustedknuckles is offline  
Old August 23rd, 2016, 01:12 PM   #28
Lifer
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Nj
Posts: 2,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustedknuckles View Post
Some of you fellows are showing the M14 world your asses, and making me wonder about the status of the M14 world, are we really turning into a bunch of gun snob's here? Makes me want to get on a AK forum.
This man started a thread about his new receiver, and his HRA parts that'll make a rifle that he wants. Also, he seems very happy with his project, so as a group of respectable folks that we ought to be here, we ought to be encouraging to the build instead of being condescending.
if he'd have started his thread asking opinions these replies would be warranted.
Pingo! Exactly very shades of AR15.com

7 for 1 is offline  
Old August 23rd, 2016, 01:29 PM   #29
Dodgin' The Reaper
 
nf1e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Preston,CT
Posts: 6,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustedknuckles View Post
Some of you fellows are showing the M14 world your asses, and making me wonder about the status of the M14 world, are we really turning into a bunch of gun snob's here? Makes me want to get on a AK forum.
This man started a thread about his new receiver, and his HRA parts that'll make a rifle that he wants. Also, he seems very happy with his project, so as a group of respectable folks that we ought to be here, we ought to be encouraging to the build instead of being condescending.
if he'd have started his thread asking opinions these replies would be warranted.
Very well said Mike. We should all support the OP in his efforts. After all it is his thread and as has been said some negative opinions should be kept to one's self.

nf1e is online now  
Old August 23rd, 2016, 01:34 PM   #30
Dodgin' The Reaper
 
nf1e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Preston,CT
Posts: 6,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenValley View Post
I get really offended when someone empowers himself to tell others to shut up and move along.
I might suggest that you be less offended when another gentleman is trying to help keep you from making a bigger fool of yourself.

Semper Fi
Art

Thanks from Gladiator0719
nf1e is online now  
Reply

  M14 Forum > M14 M1A Forum > The M14

Moderator Tools
Display Modes


Similar M14 Forum Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale: H&R Trigger groups (better pics of #1), Win. bolt plsmyk PX 5 July 7th, 2014 06:49 PM
Double Lugged NM SAI build price drop! NOW WITH PICS! New trade options Eodcam SPF 13 May 5th, 2014 08:15 AM
A few Range pics from today Enis75 The M14 15 July 19th, 2007 07:20 AM
My Winchester build came home today!! **RANGE REPORT** ZOG'S The M14 27 June 5th, 2007 05:44 PM
spotted an H&R today flcracker The M14 1 December 3rd, 2005 06:36 PM



Top Gun Sites Top Sites List