M14 Forum


Cheek Pad

This is a discussion on Cheek Pad within the The M14 forums, part of the M14 M1A Forum category; Got my Shepherd scope all set up and I need a good cheek pad. I've seen several types around the internet but would like some ...


Go Back   M14 Forum > M14 M1A Forum > The M14


Reply
 
LinkBack Moderator Tools Display Modes

Old June 23rd, 2006, 12:11 AM   #1
Old Salt
 
Phil Owen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Hazel Green, AL
Posts: 1,075
Cheek Pad

Got my Shepherd scope all set up and I need a good cheek pad. I've seen several types around the internet but would like some input on which ones work best.

Phil Owen is offline  
Remove Ads
Old June 23rd, 2006, 06:37 AM   #2
Designated Marksman
 
Oryguner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Oregon
Posts: 658
Personally I'm not a big fan of the strap-on, lace-on, bolt-on types of cheek-pieces out there. I tried to like them but I find the Bondo built up ones I do on my synthetics to be much more comfortable in use. Of the others, the Scope-Eze from Brownell's worked pretty well.


Oryguner is offline  
Old June 23rd, 2006, 06:53 AM   #3
g5
Lifer
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,163
The Smith Enterprise cheekpad works for me.

Oryguner has too much talent.

g5 is offline  
Old June 23rd, 2006, 12:11 PM   #4
Platoon Commander
 
Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by g5
Oryguner has too much talent.
Too true... Too much talent and time!

Also consider that with Rooster33 or Karsten Cheekrests you can adjust to find your perfect height for your mount and rings etc. Obviously Oryguner figured out his by now... or he aint telling us if he got it wrong!

(I have a Karsten rest... he's a fellow forum member too).

Priced competatively to a strap on/lace on pad. Might not be what you are looking for if you have a nice wood stock though.

Dude is offline  
Old June 23rd, 2006, 12:26 PM   #5
Banned Camp
 
H2O MAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: US
Posts: 3,070
Talking

I have one of these from when my Scout was in Walnut and it worked great.



I saved it so I guess I can use it on my Poly

H2O MAN is offline  
Old June 23rd, 2006, 12:29 PM   #6
Designated Marksman
 
ConRich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Maine
Posts: 673
Yes, Oryguner does nice work. But I couldn't see doing that to my beatiful walnut stock so I went for the Blackhawk Tactical Adjustable cheek pad. It is held on with velcro straps, is adjustable,easy to remove, and inexpensive.($29). www.blackhawk.com. or www.quanticoarms.com.

Rich

ConRich is offline  
Old June 23rd, 2006, 02:07 PM   #7
Old Salt
 
Phil Owen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Hazel Green, AL
Posts: 1,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConRich
Yes, Oryguner does nice work. But I couldn't see doing that to my beatiful walnut stock so I went for the Blackhawk Tactical Adjustable cheek pad. It is held on with velcro straps, is adjustable,easy to remove, and inexpensive.($29). www.blackhawk.com. or www.quanticoarms.com.

Rich
I like that adjustable feature. Blackhawk's site didn't tell much about it. How does it adjust?

Phil Owen is offline  
Old June 23rd, 2006, 06:34 PM   #8
Designated Marksman
 
ConRich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Maine
Posts: 673
Hi Phil,

The cheek rest comes with three pads, they are about 1/4" thick. You can adjust the hight of the rest by using 1,2, or 3 pads that are inserted into the rest. The rest is adjustable to your rifle by positioning of 4 adjustable velcro type straps. I have tried the leather lace on cheek pad from Cabella's, I sent it back because it didn't fit my stock at all. I have seen some in catalogs that looked nice but were VERY expensive and I wasn't sure about what would work for me and didn't want to make a $150 mistake. This one that I have is the Blackhawk #90CP01BK Tactical Cheek Pad-Adjustable w/Hawktex-Black $29.95 and guaranteed for life. It solved my problem, it works well,is comfortable, and it is very easy to remove and put back on.

Rich

ConRich is offline  
Old June 23rd, 2006, 08:10 PM   #9
Automatic Rifleman
 
Dirtdigger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver Island,Canada
Posts: 127
Ory did you work that palm swell area as well? Looks top notch

Dirtdigger is offline  
Old June 23rd, 2006, 08:13 PM   #10
Squad Leader
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 274
I have the one from Fulton and just used it for the first time. Unfortunately, the pad really interfered with my earfmuffs. It wasn't that comfortable (not to mention that the ele knob on my Bushnell Elite somehow managed to mysteriously stop working).

M1A_Owner is offline  
Old June 23rd, 2006, 09:21 PM   #11
Old Salt
 
Phil Owen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Hazel Green, AL
Posts: 1,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConRich
Hi Phil,

The cheek rest comes with three pads, they are about 1/4" thick. You can adjust the hight of the rest by using 1,2, or 3 pads that are inserted into the rest. The rest is adjustable to your rifle by positioning of 4 adjustable velcro type straps. I have tried the leather lace on cheek pad from Cabella's, I sent it back because it didn't fit my stock at all. I have seen some in catalogs that looked nice but were VERY expensive and I wasn't sure about what would work for me and didn't want to make a $150 mistake. This one that I have is the Blackhawk #90CP01BK Tactical Cheek Pad-Adjustable w/Hawktex-Black $29.95 and guaranteed for life. It solved my problem, it works well,is comfortable, and it is very easy to remove and put back on.

Rich
Sounds like what I'm looking for. I'll get me an order in for one. Thanks for the input!!

Phil Owen is offline  
Old June 23rd, 2006, 11:30 PM   #12
Designated Marksman
 
Oryguner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Oregon
Posts: 658
Thanks for the kind words for my efforts guys. Much appreciated. If anyone wants to try a Bondo mod on their stock I would be only too happy to offer whatever help I can.
Dude,
I mount my scopes as low as possible with the tube just clearing the rear site aperture. At this height, I find that about a 1" build up on the synthetic stock is just about right for me. Cheekbones vary from one person to another so what fits me might not feel right to someone else. To establish this height and shape I did a practice build using modeling clay before diging into the Bondo.



Dirtdigger,
Yep, I built up the grip area to form a palm swell. This stock is actually the one I did for forum member hthegrea but I have been using one like it for over two years now.

Oryguner is offline  
Old June 23rd, 2006, 11:55 PM   #13
Snappin In
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: In The City That Never Sleeps
Posts: 25
Not exactly on topic, but related somewhat:

I don't know if I'm saying this clearly but...

What is the height above the cheekweld that most folks will find the optic line of sight?

Hmmm...

plainly said, how high should the eye piece on my scope be above the plane of the cheekweld?

Thanks,
Peter

Prophet is offline  
Old June 24th, 2006, 04:06 AM   #14
Old Salt
 
Phil Owen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Hazel Green, AL
Posts: 1,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet
Not exactly on topic, but related somewhat:

I don't know if I'm saying this clearly but...

What is the height above the cheekweld that most folks will find the optic line of sight?

Hmmm...

plainly said, how high should the eye piece on my scope be above the plane of the cheekweld?

Thanks,
Peter
Every rifle I've put a scope on has been a little different. The rule of thumb I've always been told is to keep the scope as close to the barrel as possible.

Phil Owen is offline  
Old June 24th, 2006, 04:23 AM   #15
Snappin In
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: In The City That Never Sleeps
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Owen
Every rifle I've put a scope on has been a little different. The rule of thumb I've always been told is to keep the scope as close to the barrel as possible.
I see the virtues in that, but even though it will vary from shooter to shooter, roughly, how high can I expect the sight line to be above the stock comb?

I guess it's a question of physiology more than quality gunsmithing. The combined sum of the drop in the stock's comb and the height above the barrelled action for effective sight placement?

-P.

Prophet is offline  
Reply

  M14 Forum > M14 M1A Forum > The M14



Search tags for this page
cheek pad
,
cheek pad for m1a rifle
,
leather cheek pad m14
,
leather cheek rest m14
,

m14 cheek pad

,

m1a cheek pad

,
m1a cheek pads
,
m1a cheekpad
,

m1a scout walnut leather

,
scope eze
,
strap on cheek piece
,
strap on cheek rest
Click on a term to search for related topics.

Moderator Tools
Display Modes


Similar M14 Forum Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scoped M1A and NO cheek pad possible ?? hans4811 Optics 28 April 10th, 2013 02:08 PM
For Sale: Cheap REDUCED!!Again USGI Birch Stock, Usgi handguard, SEI cheek pad lord of war619 PX 15 March 15th, 2012 08:05 AM
TAC PRO INC. PRODUCT- M14 Cheek Rest ripsaw The M14 17 March 14th, 2012 01:51 PM
Cheek pad advice hornet41 Optics 6 July 15th, 2010 02:14 PM
Fulton Armory Cheek Pad Question santino34 The M14 1 July 20th, 2006 11:23 AM



Top Gun Sites Top Sites List