Model94 Winchester Classic - M14 Forum

M14 Forum


Model94 Winchester Classic

This is a discussion on Model94 Winchester Classic within the Lever Action forums, part of the Gun Forum category; I got this old rifle today and wanted opinions as to leave it as is, or strip the finish of the wood and rub some ...


Go Back   M14 Forum > Gun Forum > Lever Action

53Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Moderator Tools Display Modes

Old March 19th, 2017, 01:00 PM   #1
Lifer
 
Wasted ammo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: GA
Posts: 3,651
Model94 Winchester Classic

I got this old rifle today and wanted opinions as to leave it as is, or strip the finish of the wood and rub some BLO on it? It is a 1968 gun and has seen some use but no cracks,splits or horrible dents.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (1.49 MB, 90 views)

Wasted ammo is online now  
Remove Ads
Old March 19th, 2017, 01:02 PM   #2
Lifer
 
Wasted ammo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: GA
Posts: 3,651
Pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (2.18 MB, 82 views)

Thanks from Dougboffl, MrM1A and Rich D
Wasted ammo is online now  
Old March 19th, 2017, 01:05 PM   #3
Old Salt
 
Rich D's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Big Sky Country
Posts: 1,688
Nice wood. I don't know if I would touch it, other than some good wax.

Thanks from RDS and ray55classic
Rich D is offline  
 
Old March 19th, 2017, 01:17 PM   #4
Lifer
 
Wasted ammo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: GA
Posts: 3,651
To anyone who has one of these old rifles is the trigger supposed to have a lot of back and forth play? I have never own a Winchester lever gun before don't really know what to look for, just thought it looked cool I hope it shoots and doesn't blow up in my hands. I'm fixing to go outside and shoot it, if it blows up I enjoyed talking to y'all.

Wasted ammo is online now  
Old March 19th, 2017, 01:25 PM   #5
Lifer
 
Wasted ammo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: GA
Posts: 3,651
Well it didn't blow up, needs some TLC and so e CLP, the action is dry. But it's shoots good.

Wasted ammo is online now  
Old March 19th, 2017, 01:41 PM   #6
Automatic Rifleman
 
JustinB60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasted ammo View Post
To anyone who has one of these old rifles is the trigger supposed to have a lot of back and forth play? I have never own a Winchester lever gun before don't really know what to look for, just thought it looked cool I hope it shoots and doesn't blow up in my hands. I'm fixing to go outside and shoot it, if it blows up I enjoyed talking to y'all.
I have a 1962 Winchester 94. Which direction is the wiggle, same plane as normal trigger motion (front to back) or is it a side to side wiggle? Also is this "wiggle" only evident when the firearm is not cocked or when it is cocked?

For whatever reason this firearm has a "limp" trigger after being fired and before the lever/action is cycled to cock it again.... if this is what you are referring to than it is normal as far as I know.

Nice rifle! I wouldn't touch that wood... tons of character! I will say that these rifles are a bear to take down. I bought a takedown guide (movie) and if I didnt have it I'm not sure if I could FULLY takedown this rifle to piece parts. Otherwise its an awesome rifle, congrats!

JustinB60 is offline  
Old March 19th, 2017, 01:45 PM   #7
Platoon Sergeant
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: eastern sierra
Posts: 308
Hello, Wasted Ammo.
I don't know about the complete refinish, it has some pretty nice patina as it is. And some of the dings on the right side look deep... But, what do I know...
You'll have the stock off when you do your first brake down and cleaning, so see what a little bit of steaming, some TLC and wax can get you. That sure is some pretty nice grain... It should cleanup just fine, plus you don't want to make it, to nice to scratch... It's only original once, some say..
I'd try that first, then proceed if the rifle checks out as a shooter and you're not happy with the finish after some TLC.. Just my thoughts

boltaction is offline  
Old March 19th, 2017, 01:47 PM   #8
Master Gunner
 
MrM1A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: PA, USA
Posts: 927

Awards Showcase

I vote for not messing with the stock besides some light oiling and/or waxing. It's too nice looking and such nice character it'd be a shame to mess that up.

Thanks from ray55classic and SGT John SWF
MrM1A is offline  
Old March 19th, 2017, 01:56 PM   #9
Lifer
 
Wasted ammo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: GA
Posts: 3,651
Thanks guys, I wish Tony had a video on taking this one apart! I watched a youtube video and got a headache. I'm going to clean it and oil it up good without a total break down I hope. I could only find 3 30-30 rounds and I did fire it. Once one handed around a concrete block wall corner lol. And 2 shots at a 24 inch pistol plate at 100 yards hit it both times. Not that is difficult but I was a little Leary of putting my face to close to the chamber. Yes the excess trigger movement is parallel to the barrel. Justin you have a pre 64 those are a lot more valuable than mine. This one was a limited run from 67-70 it says model 94 Winchester Classic on the barrel. I haven't seen on like this before, always wanted and old lever gun. This one has a 26 inch octagon barrel with a full length tube. It will not be a safe queen as I will shoot it often.

Thanks from RDS
Wasted ammo is online now  
Old March 19th, 2017, 01:58 PM   #10
Lifer
 
Wasted ammo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: GA
Posts: 3,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrM1A View Post
I vote for not messing with the stock besides some light oiling and/or waxing. It's too nice looking and such nice character it'd be a shame to mess that up.
Thanks that's kind of what I was thinking. But I would really like to see that wood come to life again. I suppose that would ruin the value of it if it even has any real value, other than me thinking its cool.

Wasted ammo is online now  
Old March 19th, 2017, 02:21 PM   #11
Lifer
 
Wasted ammo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: GA
Posts: 3,651
This is the barrel marking.sorry I keep posting these pics like this it's the only way I know how.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (1.98 MB, 39 views)

Wasted ammo is online now  
Old March 19th, 2017, 02:25 PM   #12
Lifer
 
SGT John SWF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 3,869
Tony indeed has a Video on your Rifle!

It says 1) Oil it and 2) Leave it alone!
Do you want the Link to the Video?

Thanks from ray55classic and wiz1997
SGT John SWF is offline  
Old March 19th, 2017, 02:28 PM   #13
Lifer
 
Wasted ammo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: GA
Posts: 3,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT John SWF View Post
Tony indeed has a Video on your Rifle!

It says 1) Oil it and 2) Leave it alone!
Do you want the Link to the Video?
Yes please, lmao

Wasted ammo is online now  
Old March 19th, 2017, 03:54 PM   #14
Lifer
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: South Charleston, WV
Posts: 2,404
Had numerous '94's over the years and some pre '64's as well and the trigger is a floppy one in both cases, nature of the beast. Yes, disassembly/reassembly is a chore, don't do it unless absolutely necessary. The 94 Winchesters served/serve in deer camps all over the country and kept in cabins, boats, trucks, etc. for ready service and rarely give a problem. Believe your vintage is of cast receiver and often times the blue on the receiver would show a deep purple hue, but they work just fine. Older ones, pre 64 were of forged machined receivers and fetch a high number from collectors. Believe the 2,000,000 one was given to President Eisenhower(not sure about the exact number??) Made dozens of variations of the carbine/rifle in host of calibers and very handy woods rifle for all manner of hunting.

Thanks from RDS, Rich D and Wasted ammo
Instructor is online now  
Old March 19th, 2017, 04:22 PM   #15
Lifer
 
Wasted ammo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: GA
Posts: 3,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Instructor View Post
Had numerous '94's over the years and some pre '64's as well and the trigger is a floppy one in both cases, nature of the beast. Yes, disassembly/reassembly is a chore, don't do it unless absolutely necessary. The 94 Winchesters served/serve in deer camps all over the country and kept in cabins, boats, trucks, etc. for ready service and rarely give a problem. Believe your vintage is of cast receiver and often times the blue on the receiver would show a deep purple hue, but they work just fine. Older ones, pre 64 were of forged machined receivers and fetch a high number from collectors. Believe the 2,000,000 one was given to President Eisenhower(not sure about the exact number??) Made dozens of variations of the carbine/rifle in host of calibers and very handy woods rifle for all manner of hunting.
As I have stated I'm new to these rifles. Should I just blast away with quick dry cleaner and then spray CLP in it and wipe her down? I have had marlins but that's apple to oranges?

Wasted ammo is online now  
Reply

  M14 Forum > Gun Forum > Lever Action

Moderator Tools
Display Modes


Similar M14 Forum Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
carbine for sale at Big 5 skyraider1 Steel and Wood 20 January 3rd, 2012 08:14 PM
"New" to me M1 Carbine f1fanatic Steel and Wood 11 December 8th, 2011 09:09 AM
6.5 Million Winchester Quagmire Steel and Wood 5 November 25th, 2006 02:32 PM
Research questions - Winchester operating rods Different The M14 11 March 26th, 2006 04:49 PM
Winchester & S'G' Rebuilds Quagmire Steel and Wood 1 December 27th, 2005 01:28 PM



Top Gun Sites Top Sites List