Marlins - Opinions on Front Sight Hoods? - M14 Forum

M14 Forum


Marlins - Opinions on Front Sight Hoods?

This is a discussion on Marlins - Opinions on Front Sight Hoods? within the Lever Action forums, part of the Gun Forum category; Is there any real benefit to keeping the hood on the Marlin front sight blade? I'm going to swap out the sights on my 30-30 ...


Go Back   M14 Forum > Gun Forum > Lever Action

6Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Moderator Tools Display Modes

Old August 10th, 2016, 04:48 PM   #1
Platoon Commander
 
Medved11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: East Coast
Posts: 459
Marlins - Opinions on Front Sight Hoods?

Is there any real benefit to keeping the hood on the Marlin front sight blade?

I'm going to swap out the sights on my 30-30 with a set of XS sights and I'm debating the necessity of keeping the hood (if it will fit over the new front blade.

Anyhow, let me know how you guys feel about the hoods


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Medved11 is offline  
Remove Ads
Old August 10th, 2016, 04:58 PM   #2
Scout Sniper
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: california
Posts: 701
It does help keep the sight from snagging on the inside of the soft case or the sleeping bag in the back of the truck. Other wise it doesn't make much difference too me in shooting.

Thanks from Doc and Medved11
smleenfield is offline  
Old August 10th, 2016, 05:19 PM   #3
Platoon Commander
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: NY
Posts: 435
I'm new to levers and just a new 336C a couple months ago. Not sure how I feel about the hood yet but I know the rear buckhorn has to go. After I get Skinners I'll decide about the hood. Looking forward to others options here.

USN14 is offline  
 
Old August 10th, 2016, 05:40 PM   #4
Platoon Commander
 
Medved11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: East Coast
Posts: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by USN14 View Post
I'm new to levers and just a new 336C a couple months ago. Not sure how I feel about the hood yet but I know the rear buckhorn has to go. After I get Skinners I'll decide about the hood. Looking forward to others options here.


Same here. I just got into lever guns as well and I knew after the first range session with the buckhorn that the sights were going to have to be modified. I tried my buddy's gun which has a rear ghost ring and it was like night and day in terms of sight picture. The seems to reduce glare a little bit I'm not sure that I want to keep them




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks from USN14
Medved11 is offline  
Old August 10th, 2016, 05:51 PM   #5
Rifleman
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Kansas
Posts: 44
I am a big fan of the XS sight on my Marlins. Before you install, make sure your front sight is straight. I had a newer 45-70 which did not have a vertical sight. Some Marlins did not have good QC and they drilled the front sight bases off. Basically, if you currently have your buckhorn rear over to the extreme side of the dovetail...you have a problem. The longer sight radius means you will need more of a windage shift since the XS sight is further back. If you are fairly centered now, it shoukd not be a problem.

With the 30-30, I have one rifle sighted for 130 Speers and one for 170's. Most folks dont shoot 130s, but wanted to point this out as they will take a different front blade. The XS customer service can help you out there.

Yes, the front blade is rather tall and at first one might feel it a little sharp. I have no issues with mine. I find that the front sight makes it very easy to pick up and get a good sight picture. This has a distinct advantage when I have jumped a deer or shot them on the run. There is something very pleasing about only having that front sight with a white stripe to pick up and focus on (no hood). I have not had it snag in my case or while hunting, but had the same initial concerns as well. When you remove the buckhorn rear, it is also a good idea to fill the dovetail with a blank. My edges were also a little sharp.

I also enjoy the extra sight radius the XS provides. Far better than the stock setup in my opinion.

sapper101 is offline  
Old August 10th, 2016, 06:07 PM   #6
Platoon Commander
 
Medved11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: East Coast
Posts: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper101 View Post
I am a big fan of the XS sight on my Marlins. Before you install, make sure your front sight is straight. I had a newer 45-70 which did not have a vertical sight. Some Marlins did not have good QC and they drilled the front sight bases off. Basically, if you currently have your buckhorn rear over to the extreme side of the dovetail...you have a problem. The longer sight radius means you will need more of a windage shift since the XS sight is further back. If you are fairly centered now, it shoukd not be a problem.

With the 30-30, I have one rifle sighted for 130 Speers and one for 170's. Most folks dont shoot 130s, but wanted to point this out as they will take a different front blade. The XS customer service can help you out there.

Yes, the front blade is rather tall and at first one might feel it a little sharp. I have no issues with mine. I find that the front sight makes it very easy to pick up and get a good sight picture. This has a distinct advantage when I have jumped a deer or shot them on the run. There is something very pleasing about only having that front sight with a white stripe to pick up and focus on (no hood). I have not had it snag in my case or while hunting, but had the same initial concerns as well. When you remove the buckhorn rear, it is also a good idea to fill the dovetail with a blank. My edges were also a little sharp.

I also enjoy the extra sight radius the XS provides. Far better than the stock setup in my opinion.


It's funny that you mention the 45-70 because that's what I'm picking up from my FFL tomorrow. He did a quick inspection of the rifle when he pulled it out of the box and everything looked okay including the sights. I'll do my own inspection before completing the transfer but it sounds like I'm okay.

I decided that I'm going to go with the XS ghost ring sights on the 3O-30 and I'll see if the hood still fits and then decide if I want to keep it on the gun.

As for the 45-70, I'm actually going to mount an XS rail + ghost ring on it along with a Burris Fastfire II that I have sitting around unused.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Medved11 is offline  
Old August 10th, 2016, 06:11 PM   #7
Lifer
 
dwight55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 2,374
I've always loved mine, . . . makes that "quick catch" on the sighting a bit easier for me, . . . don't have to search for the front post, . . . find the hood, . . . post is in the middle of it.

May God bless,
Dwight

dwight55 is offline  
Old August 10th, 2016, 06:31 PM   #8
Platoon Sergeant
 
mazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Rock Hill SC
Posts: 305
Ha!! I had a ported Guide Gun, used to blow the hood into space every time I shot it!! Finally stopped putting it on since it was a pain to find it! If a Marlin has the front sight hood I leave it on....until I want to swap the sight or do anything with the front sight that requires me to remove it. I just toss them into my parts box after that!

Thanks from Medved11
mazer is offline  
Old August 10th, 2016, 06:38 PM   #9
Snappin In
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Dllas TX
Posts: 38
if your using it for hunting, its a plus for the reason mentioned above as quick sighting and to keep it from catchin on stuff as your pushing your way through the brush. I personally don't like the looks, but I kept mine on

pariah is offline  
Old August 10th, 2016, 06:44 PM   #10
Old Salt
 
KyAggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 1,139
I have had a Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70 for 12 years. I have the XS sights and I love them. I took the hood off when I installed them and have never had a problem with the sight snagging on brush and that's exactly where I go with that gun. I would bet you will like the XS sights a lot.

Thanks from Medved11
KyAggie is offline  
Old August 10th, 2016, 06:46 PM   #11
Grunt
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Ky
Posts: 82
I have 30-30 336 made in 78, it was my great grandfathers, it does not have the front sight hood, and I did not know there was one even made for it, when I am doing the restoraton work to it I may have to pick one up for it. With that out of the way, I can say that I liked the hood on the m48 mauser I used to have.

ghostdevilguy is offline  
Old August 11th, 2016, 05:06 AM   #12
Platoon Sergeant
 
mazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Rock Hill SC
Posts: 305
I don't have many with front sight hoods!!! I usually take them off, but whatever works for you!

Thanks from Medved11
mazer is offline  
Old August 11th, 2016, 05:26 AM   #13
Old Salt
 
Rich D's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Big Sky Country
Posts: 1,415
Since my old eyes need help, I've got a fiber optic front sight, and because they can be broken I need a hood. I've got a Gamo air rifle that had a hood with holes to allow light entry for the FO sight, and it fit perfect. Love fiber optics.

Rich D is online now  
Old August 11th, 2016, 05:26 AM   #14
Platoon Commander
 
Medved11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: East Coast
Posts: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazer View Post
I don't have many with front sight hoods!!! I usually take them off, but whatever works for you!



Yeah - I'm going to try it both ways and see which works better for me


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Medved11 is offline  
Old August 11th, 2016, 05:37 AM   #15
Lifer
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: South Charleston, WV
Posts: 2,366
The hood is meant for protection of the front sight blade/bead while stored or in travelling, etc. The hood will prohibit light from showing on the front sight which may prevent you from picking up in your eyesight while attempting a shot. Some hoods do have "windows" cut in them to provide light to enter and yet protect the sight itself. Take mine off for use in field, but as mentioned many leave it on so whatever works best for you.

Instructor is offline  
Reply

  M14 Forum > Gun Forum > Lever Action


Search tags for this page

marlin issue crooked hood sights

,

sight hoods on lever actions yea or ney

,

what is the hood on the front sight for on lever actions?

Click on a term to search for related topics.

Moderator Tools
Display Modes


Similar M14 Forum Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Moving a Front Sight russ0861 Lever Action 2 April 19th, 2014 10:26 AM
NRA Rules for Service Rifle Equip and Ammo XXIV Corps Rifle Competition 0 April 25th, 2012 10:18 AM
Front Sight Options For 18.5" rifles - NM, Tritium, etc LoneStarWings Modern M14 14 October 16th, 2010 09:43 AM
Opinions wanted on SEIs Hooded Gas Lock Front Sight DaveH The M14 11 November 24th, 2009 04:28 AM
Happy BD USA! Ted Brown Ted Brown 6 July 15th, 2008 02:07 PM



Top Gun Sites Top Sites List