1911 mag follower issue - M14 Forum

M14 Forum


1911 mag follower issue

This is a discussion on 1911 mag follower issue within the Handguns forums, part of the Gun Forum category; I recently purchased 4 new GI mags from the CMP as have others. Loading some rounds into them today, I noticed the top round started ...


Go Back   M14 Forum > Gun Forum > Handguns

21Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Moderator Tools Display Modes

Old April 2nd, 2017, 11:37 AM   #1
Old Salt
 
WaM14gunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Washington
Posts: 1,193
1911 mag follower issue

I recently purchased 4 new GI mags from the CMP as have others. Loading some rounds into them today, I noticed the top round started in hard and would not readily feed by hand out of the mag. Rounds on top of rounds, no problem. Had a look at the follower and see that the little button on top of the follower is hanging up on the rim of the case. Really shouldn't do that, so I Dremeled one off to try. Its these mags and you can see the hard edge on the button. I have not run into this problem before with other mags.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3574.JPG (548.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3573.JPG (566.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3572.JPG (534.7 KB, 14 views)

WaM14gunner is offline  
Remove Ads
Old April 2nd, 2017, 11:49 AM   #2
Lifer
 
GardenValley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,835

Awards Showcase

Those CMI .45 mags have been floating around gun shows for near 30 years now and I've never heard anything good said about them. I guess the army had a bunch of them and dumped them on the CMP.

GardenValley is offline  
Old April 2nd, 2017, 11:55 AM   #3
Rifleman
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Missour
Posts: 49
mag follower should by original design have the bump of on it but not a half moon bump as shown here.

M1A FireTeam is offline  
 
Old April 2nd, 2017, 12:36 PM   #4
Old Salt
 
WaM14gunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Washington
Posts: 1,193
Well at least they were cheap and come in cool looking wrappers!

Thanks from SGT John SWF
WaM14gunner is offline  
Old April 2nd, 2017, 02:03 PM   #5
Dodgin' The Reaper
 
High Hat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 9,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaM14gunner View Post
Well at least they were cheap and come in cool looking wrappers!
I have to disagree, the most expensive parts you buy are the ones that get thrown in the trash can. I swore off gun shows years ago after some crappy parts purchased there. I'm not good enough to see the difference between a quality part and a ching-chang part most of the time.

High Hat is online now  
Old April 2nd, 2017, 02:06 PM   #6
Old Salt
 
WaM14gunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Washington
Posts: 1,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Hat View Post
I have to disagree, the most expensive parts you buy are the ones that get thrown in the trash can. I swore off gun shows years ago after some crappy parts purchased there. I'm not good enough to see the difference between a quality part and a ching-chang part most of the time.
Not sure what the disagreement is, I was making light of it. I got these from the CMP and I don't plan to throw them away...

WaM14gunner is offline  
Old April 2nd, 2017, 02:09 PM   #7
Old Salt
 
Rich D's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Big Sky Country
Posts: 1,367
I noticed that the CMP GI mags were hard to load the first round, but that's not a big deal for me. They get easier with age, and feed just fine.

Rich D is online now  
Old April 2nd, 2017, 04:28 PM   #8
Dodgin' The Reaper
 
High Hat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 9,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaM14gunner View Post
Not sure what the disagreement is, I was making light of it. I got these from the CMP and I don't plan to throw them away...
Sorry, my mind must have been on Mars. I read your post and I was thinking about counterfeit Chinese parts. But it seems that genuine USGI mags should work right out of the wrapper. GardenValley seems to have had trouble with these mags before.
Something must be wrong with them it seems.

High Hat is online now  
Old April 2nd, 2017, 04:30 PM   #9
Old Salt
 
WaM14gunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Washington
Posts: 1,193
I ground one down and just shot it today, it worked fine. I am going to grind off the others as well now. I don't mind if the round is hard to load but it should be able to be pushed off the mag by thumb without a struggle. I think the mags are fine, just the squared off pimple gots to go.

WaM14gunner is offline  
Old April 2nd, 2017, 04:43 PM   #10
Old Salt
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,091
That dimple is suppose to be there. It is on all GI magazines and most 7 round commercial magazines. Removing the dimple can cause issues down the road when the spring tension decreases. The last cartridge in the magazine has the least force applied to it since the spring is in its least compressed state. The frictional force on the cartridge is a function of both normal spring force and the coefficient of friction between the cartridge case and the follower. The dimple ensures that the coefficient of friction is high enough to never allow the last cartridge to be unseated by the recoil force of the second to last cartridge being fired. I've shot these pistols for almost half of a century and I can tell you that it is pretty easy to accommodate that dimple. Simply depress the follower when loading the first cartridge and give the last cartridge a good nudge when unloading the magazine. Rick

Thanks from High Hat, XUSNORDIE and Rich D
rickgman is offline  
Old April 2nd, 2017, 04:55 PM   #11
Old Salt
 
WaM14gunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Washington
Posts: 1,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgman View Post
That dimple is suppose to be there. It is on all GI magazines and most 7 round commercial magazines. Removing the dimple can cause issues down the road when the spring tension decreases. The last cartridge in the magazine has the least force applied to it since the spring is in its least compressed state. The frictional force on the cartridge is a function of both normal spring force and the coefficient of friction between the cartridge case and the follower. The dimple ensures that the coefficient of friction is high enough to never allow the last cartridge to be unseated by the recoil force of the second to last cartridge being fired. I've shot these pistols for almost half of a century and I can tell you that it is pretty easy to accommodate that dimple. Simply depress the follower when loading the first cartridge and give the last cartridge a good nudge when unloading the magazine. Rick
The dimple or pimple should be round not half round. In this case as the photos show the pimple is half round and the flat impedes progress bigly of the top round. This is not correct. I have owned lots of 1911 mags and never had one like these with half round pimples, that didn't allow for easy push off of the top round with the thumb.

WaM14gunner is offline  
Old April 2nd, 2017, 04:57 PM   #12
Lifer
 
XUSNORDIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Other M14 Forum...
Posts: 2,898
I would not have ground anything off.......pushing a round off the follower with your thumb is entirely different than the round being pushed off by the slide to chamber a round.

Of all the tutorials and good 'ol USGI training on tuning mags never have I come across removing that.

Thanks from pupulepeter and SGT John SWF
XUSNORDIE is offline  
Old April 2nd, 2017, 04:58 PM   #13
Dodgin' The Reaper
 
Hgunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Middle TN
Posts: 6,395
If these are for range mags, then I'd just dremel the dimple flat.

If these are for carry or carry and range, why would you cheap out on something your life might depend on.

I would want the best feeding most dependable mag I could get.

Hgunner is offline  
Old April 2nd, 2017, 05:00 PM   #14
Old Salt
 
WaM14gunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Washington
Posts: 1,193
I tried not to remove all of it, just ease the flat down a tad. I know its supposed to be there, but it should not take a hammer to pop that top round off, it should only take reasonable thumb pressure to push it off. But like I said with the grinding I did to make it less abrupt it worked fine today at the range with your Browning load, which shot well in my AO btw.

WaM14gunner is offline  
Old April 2nd, 2017, 05:03 PM   #15
Old Salt
 
WaM14gunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Washington
Posts: 1,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hgunner View Post
If these are for range mags, then I'd just dremel the dimple flat.

If these are for carry or carry and range, why would you cheap out on something your life might depend on.

I would want the best feeding most dependable mag I could get.
Range mags... but even at that I would not worry about them after grinding the pimple just enough to make it a little easier to load and unload. I have never seen mags that took this much force to push the top round off.

WaM14gunner is offline  
Reply

  M14 Forum > Gun Forum > Handguns

Moderator Tools
Display Modes


Similar M14 Forum Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale: Sig sauer Holsters, magazines, 1911 mag, FDE ar parts lord of war619 BX 10 November 22nd, 2015 05:41 AM
1911 Parts & Tools CASINOMICK PX 1 June 4th, 2010 04:52 PM
mag issue p8re8 Modern M14 0 October 30th, 2009 06:36 PM
M1 Carbine mag follower question jim-analog Steel and Wood 10 October 14th, 2009 11:58 AM
Magazine problems and fixes Gus Fisher The M14 8 June 15th, 2009 12:15 PM



Top Gun Sites Top Sites List