Auto Ordnance/Kahr Model 1911A1 US Army:first impressions - Page 5 - M14 Forum

M14 Forum


Auto Ordnance/Kahr Model 1911A1 US Army:first impressions

This is a discussion on Auto Ordnance/Kahr Model 1911A1 US Army:first impressions within the Handguns forums, part of the Gun Forum category; Originally Posted by Phil McGrath That's good the hear remember its still new and it will settle/wear in, you still haven't adj. the sear or ...


Go Back   M14 Forum > Gun Forum > Handguns

51Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Moderator Tools Display Modes

Old April 12th, 2017, 06:06 PM   #61
Resident Rascal
 
High Hat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 10,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McGrath View Post
That's good the hear remember its still new and it will settle/wear in, you still haven't adj. the sear or the hammer hooks so there is still room too grow yet. Try a 19lbs hammer spring and I bet that will get you into the high or middle 4lbs range, not bad for a little tweeking here and there on a non-trigger jobbed 1911..
Are you sure you would want to lower the firing pin impact on the primer?

Thanks from Phil McGrath and Rich D
High Hat is online now  
Remove Ads
Old April 13th, 2017, 11:41 AM   #62
Super Moderator
 
Phil McGrath's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Silverdale, WA.
Posts: 7,632

Awards Showcase

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Hat View Post
Are you sure you would want to lower the firing pin impact on the primer?
Fair question and I will counter with this, sense when has the 1911 not had enough hammer swing energy too kick off a primer, this is provided a nice center punch? The 16 recoil and 19 main is the original spec..

My own personal opinion of the current 1911 makers and there use of a 18 and 23 combo is they know that current owners #1 too dumb and don't know any better, #2 there too lazy, or #3 too cheap too replace there springs at the 5000rd intervals, and the stiffer spring set offers some extra shooting mileage before replacement....

I replace mine at 5000rds, and I'm due for a set myself.

Thanks from Rich D
Phil McGrath is offline  
Old April 13th, 2017, 02:21 PM   #63
Resident Rascal
 
High Hat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 10,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McGrath View Post
Fair question and I will counter with this, sense when has the 1911 not had enough hammer swing energy too kick off a primer, this is provided a nice center punch? The 16 recoil and 19 main is the original spec..

My own personal opinion of the current 1911 makers and there use of a 18 and 23 combo is they know that current owners #1 too dumb and don't know any better, #2 there too lazy, or #3 too cheap too replace there springs at the 5000rd intervals, and the stiffer spring set offers some extra shooting mileage before replacement....

I replace mine at 5000rds, and I'm due for a set myself.
I like the stronger spring just in case I have a Remington Golden Saber with a hard primer come up one night when I need it most.

I use a 14 pound recoil because I use the original 1911 style firing pin stop. I change my springs usually before 2,000 rounds but this is a carry gun. If it was for target use I don't have a problem with 5,000 rounds.

High Hat is online now  
 
Old April 13th, 2017, 05:47 PM   #64
Super Moderator
 
Phil McGrath's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Silverdale, WA.
Posts: 7,632

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Hat View Post
I like the stronger spring just in case I have a Remington Golden Saber with a hard primer come up one night when I need it most.

I use a 14 pound recoil because I use the original 1911 style firing pin stop. I change my springs usually before 2,000 rounds but this is a carry gun. If it was for target use I don't have a problem with 5,000 rounds.
Well my target BE pistol is slowly morphing into my do everything jack of all trades 1911, I do have plans for the FBFPS. I like that fact that they make contact with the hammer face sooner so the main spring has too work longer. The end result is a much softer stroke too the rear and a softer recoiling pistol.

Yes, there were whiners back in the day, the Cavalry wanted a easier slide too rack.

Thanks from High Hat
Phil McGrath is offline  
Old April 13th, 2017, 07:26 PM   #65
Resident Rascal
 
High Hat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 10,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McGrath View Post
Well my target BE pistol is slowly morphing into my do everything jack of all trades 1911, I do have plans for the FBFPS. I like that fact that they make contact with the hammer face sooner so the main spring has too work longer. The end result is a much softer stroke too the rear and a softer recoiling pistol.

Yes, there were whiners back in the day, the Cavalry wanted a easier slide too rack.
There's not a huge difference in recoil I can tell. You can definitely tell the difference when you chamber a round. If I had to do it over I'd do it again. A side benefit is that when you fit the FPS to the slide you can stop the extractor from clocking and get a more dependable ejection patter. No more hot cases hitting you in the face !

High Hat is online now  
Reply

  M14 Forum > Gun Forum > Handguns

Moderator Tools
Display Modes


Similar M14 Forum Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Auto Ordanance 1911A1 Wolfstanus Handguns 5 August 9th, 2012 11:32 AM
Want To Buy: WTB , (ME) Youth Model 20 GA Semi Auto Shotgun ConRich Want To Buy 0 January 23rd, 2012 01:46 PM
BERSA Model 83, .380 Auto pistol Puccini BX 1 February 4th, 2011 09:43 AM
Auto Ordinance GI 1911A1 pirate556 Handguns 7 November 25th, 2007 02:35 PM



Top Gun Sites Top Sites List