April 18th, 2017, 05:04 PM
Join Date: Jan 2007
Added some extra metal to the weak link....
I hogged out the ejection port area more aggressively than required but having a TIG welder makes putting it back easy, sometimes.
I cut a piece of stainless steel .150" thick and taped it to the ejection port and test fired it. I had a couple cases fail to clear he action / hitting the material I added so I milled .030" off in increments until I had 100% ejection and the maximum material added for strength. After running a 1/2 drum thru it with zero issues I TIG welded the shim in place on all sides. I also and blended the inside sharp edge.
Its still fugly right now and not finished pretty yet.
The receiver section is now 1/4" tall X 5/16 wide and a laminate of trunnion steel , receiver steel and stainless steel.
MUCH stronger than the original I started with.
Now I need to weld the front sight and base on.
Testing for max material to add~
Its MORE solid now~