98K VN Bring Back - M14 Forum

M14 Forum


98K VN Bring Back

This is a discussion on 98K VN Bring Back within the Foreign forums, part of the Gun Forum category; I was asked to post all of the pictures I had of a Russian Captured 98K that was brought back by SGT. Earle W. Welker ...


Go Back   M14 Forum > Gun Forum > Foreign

11Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Moderator Tools Display Modes

Old January 8th, 2017, 11:06 AM   #1
Grunt
 
MD66948's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Wynnewood, PA
Posts: 95
98K VN Bring Back

I was asked to post all of the pictures I had of a Russian Captured 98K that was brought back by SGT. Earle W. Welker Jr. from Vietnam.

The bore on this rifle is Great!

I am posting all of the pictures I took. Some will be duplicate shots, same angle. Sorry if I didn't turn the pictures to present them better. I took this rifle completely apart, cleaned it and covered it with blue label 3 in 1 oil.

I can only post 20 pictures so I will do this in several posts.








































Thanks from RDS, Dougboffl and Rich D
MD66948 is offline  
Remove Ads
Old January 8th, 2017, 11:07 AM   #2
Grunt
 
MD66948's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Wynnewood, PA
Posts: 95
2nd set of pictures.




































Thanks from Dougboffl
MD66948 is offline  
Old January 8th, 2017, 11:08 AM   #3
Grunt
 
MD66948's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Wynnewood, PA
Posts: 95
3rd set of pictures






MD66948 is offline  
 
Old January 8th, 2017, 11:16 AM   #4
Old Salt
 
WaM14gunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Washington
Posts: 1,038
Beautiful!

WaM14gunner is online now  
Old January 8th, 2017, 12:02 PM   #5
Squad Leader
 
mowzerluvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 239
Nice. Late 1941 barreled receiver. Good condition for a VN bringback, some corrosion on it but not near as bad as most. Wrong type bolt in it but the VC that used it probably didn't care.

Thanks from NATOBTHP and Rich D
mowzerluvr is offline  
Old January 8th, 2017, 12:30 PM   #6
Old Salt
 
Rich D's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Big Sky Country
Posts: 1,214
Thanks for sharing

Rich D is online now  
Old January 8th, 2017, 12:40 PM   #7
Master Gunner
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Murrieta, DPRKalifornia
Posts: 976
That's nice. Looks to be in very good condition with very legible markings. Wrong bolt but since this is a Russian 98k, it was probably installed by the Russians. Regardless, it still a good piece. Thanks for the look. -Lloyd

unkola is offline  
Old January 8th, 2017, 12:54 PM   #8
Old Salt
 
wiz1997's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pearland, Texas
Posts: 1,842
The eagle holding a swatika indicates it was made in Germany.

The curved bolt was replaced with the straight bolt during a rebuild after WWII.

Captured by Russia during WWII, rebuilt then sold/loaned to North Vietnam.

A "mix master" much like our own M1 Carbines.

Lot of miles on that old war horse.

Thanks from TheShooter
wiz1997 is online now  
Old January 8th, 2017, 01:08 PM   #9
Old Salt
 
wiz1997's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pearland, Texas
Posts: 1,842
Duplicate post

wiz1997 is online now  
Old January 8th, 2017, 01:16 PM   #10
VinnAY
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
The "X" on the receiver ringer about the 4 digit serial is the russian rebuild stamp

 
Old January 8th, 2017, 01:23 PM   #11
Lifer
 
GardenValley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,751

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz1997 View Post
The eagle holding a swatika indicates it was made in Germany.

The curved bolt was replaced with the straight bolt during a rebuild after WWII.

Captured by Russia during WWII, rebuilt then sold/loaned to North Vietnam.

A "mix master" much like our own M1 Carbines.

Lot of miles on that old war horse.
The Mauser code would be more definitive of it's origin than would be the waffenamt, but you are correct in stating it was made in Germany.

I would not be surprised to learn the rifle was captured without a bolt and the current bolt was installed at some later time. The markings on the bolt appear to possibly identify it as Spanish manufacture rather than German. The Russians had many 98k bolts so there would have been no reason for them to have installed a straight handle bolt. Additionally, the Russians electropenciled the rifle serial number on the bolt after headspacing and I see no s/n marked on this bolt. What appears as the letter "X" (actually crossed sabers) on the side of the receiver ring indicates the rifle is a Russian capture rifle.

GardenValley is online now  
Old January 8th, 2017, 02:20 PM   #12
Squad Leader
 
mowzerluvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenValley View Post
The Mauser code would be more definitive of it's origin than would be the waffenamt, but you are correct in stating it was made in Germany.

I would not be surprised to learn the rifle was captured without a bolt and the current bolt was installed at some later time. The markings on the bolt appear to possibly identify it as Spanish manufacture rather than German. The Russians had many 98k bolts so there would have been no reason for them to have installed a straight handle bolt. Additionally, the Russians electropenciled the rifle serial number on the bolt after headspacing and I see no s/n marked on this bolt. What appears as the letter "X" (actually crossed sabers) on the side of the receiver ring indicates the rifle is a Russian capture rifle.
More like a Czech, WW2 VZ24 bolt with that proof on the knob. I have seen hundreds of RC rifles in my time and a good many had the VZ 24 or Polish Radom Wz 29 straight bolts attached by the Russians during rebuild. Have bought several in my time in fact. Some times when you bought a RC K98 (in the early 90's when nobody knew different) you would have a WZ29 or VZ24 receiver. Even a 98/40, G24t or G29o receiver. Not often seen but happened.

mowzerluvr is offline  
Old January 8th, 2017, 02:32 PM   #13
Lifer
 
GardenValley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,751

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzerluvr View Post
More like a Czech, WW2 VZ24 bolt with that proof on the knob. I have seen hundreds of RC rifles in my time and a good many had the VZ 24 or Polish Radom Wz 29 straight bolts attached by the Russians during rebuild. Have bought several in my time in fact. Some times when you bought a RC K98 (in the early 90's when nobody knew different) you would have a WZ29 or VZ24 receiver. Even a 98/40, G24t or G29o receiver. Not often seen but happened.
I agree. Not common, but it did happen. However, I view it as noteworthy that the bolt does not appear to have an electropencil s/n on it. I suppose the Rissians could have missed marking one, but if so, the missing s/n would also be unusual.

GardenValley is online now  
Old January 8th, 2017, 02:47 PM   #14
Squad Leader
 
mowzerluvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 239
That and no force match Sn. on the left side of the stock. Might indicate they either didn't assemble them before shipping to VN or just didn't bother to headspace or check fit/function before sending them off to Uncle Ho.

mowzerluvr is offline  
Old January 8th, 2017, 03:01 PM   #15
Old Salt
 
NATOBTHP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 1,271
I have two 98Ks a CE=JP Sauer and a DOT=Bruenn CZ.
Got really lucky both have mirror bores and no metal pitting. Both seem pretty correct.

NATOBTHP is offline  
Reply

  M14 Forum > Gun Forum > Foreign

Moderator Tools
Display Modes


Similar M14 Forum Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MP44 GI Bring Back Parts Set Glashaus Full Automatics 11 July 6th, 2015 05:57 PM
B25 pilot's story andyh1956 Military History 2 November 10th, 2014 05:50 PM
Bring back M1 Carbine Vermin Steel and Wood 9 December 30th, 2009 04:21 PM
Got my rifle back! _Flea_ Modern M14 19 December 27th, 2009 07:47 PM



Top Gun Sites Top Sites List