M14 Forum


Winchester (WRA) NATO Brass as good as Lake City?

This is a discussion on Winchester (WRA) NATO Brass as good as Lake City? within the Ammunition forums, part of the M14 M1A Forum category; I traded a scope with my buddy m1a_scoutguy (Thanks Scott!!) for a batch of WRA 69 NATO 7.62 x 51 once fired brass. He thought ...


Go Back   M14 Forum > M14 M1A Forum > Ammunition

Reply
 
LinkBack Moderator Tools Display Modes

Old September 28th, 2010, 06:06 AM   #1
LoB
Lifer
 
LoB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Central NY
Posts: 2,173
Winchester (WRA) NATO Brass as good as Lake City?

I traded a scope with my buddy m1a_scoutguy (Thanks Scott!!) for a batch of WRA 69 NATO 7.62 x 51 once fired brass.

He thought it was machine gun fired but I don't think so . . it sizes easily, beautifully and accurately with one stroke of the old Rock Chucker . .

Anyway my question is . . how does this stack up to Lake City brass in the quality department . . ?? Where does it rank with other brass like GGG, PRVI, IVI, RG, DAG, SA etc.?

BTW I have 1k of GGG on the way also.

Thanks!!


Last edited by LoB; September 28th, 2010 at 05:20 PM.
LoB is offline  
Remove Ads
Old September 28th, 2010, 06:31 AM   #2
Old Salt
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 1,372
I bought 1k rounds of unfired (pulldown) WRA brass about three years ago. It was about the last of pulldown brass that was available. Have almost finished firing it the first time and have reloaded it. The brass seems to be just as good and consistent as any LC stuff I've worked with. The only issue I've had with this batch of WRA is the condition of the neck from the orginal bullet crimp. A "ring" of raised brass was left around the neck that I've had to deal with. Actually had a couple of rounds that wouldn't chamber because of that ring. That isn't a fault of the brass itself but how it was crimped when initially loaded.

I wouldn't hesitate to get WRA again if it was available.

KYShooter is offline  
Old September 28th, 2010, 07:31 AM   #3
LoB
Lifer
 
LoB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Central NY
Posts: 2,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYShooter View Post
I bought 1k rounds of unfired (pulldown) WRA brass about three years ago. It was about the last of pulldown brass that was available. Have almost finished firing it the first time and have reloaded it. The brass seems to be just as good and consistent as any LC stuff I've worked with. The only issue I've had with this batch of WRA is the condition of the neck from the orginal bullet crimp. A "ring" of raised brass was left around the neck that I've had to deal with. Actually had a couple of rounds that wouldn't chamber because of that ring. That isn't a fault of the brass itself but how it was crimped when initially loaded.

I wouldn't hesitate to get WRA again if it was available.
I noticed that ring also, KYShooter. I will be shooting this stuff out of my NM, Bush, and Rem 700. If any of them don't like it I will use it in the others.

Thanks for the input!!

LoB is offline  
Old September 28th, 2010, 08:57 AM   #4
Lifer
 
dozier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 3,941
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus_of_Borg View Post
I traded a scope with my buddy m1a_scoutguy (Thanks Scott!!) for a batch of WRA 69 NATO 7.62 x 51 once fired brass.

He thought it was machine gun fired but I don't think so . . it sizes easily, beautifully and accurately with one stroke of the old Rock Crusher . .

Anyway my question is . . how does this stack up to Lake City brass in the quality department . . ?? Where does it rank with other brass like GGG, PRVI, IVI, RG, DAG, SA etc.?

BTW I have 1k of GGG on the way also.

Thanks!!
Locutus, where did you purchase the GGG? Is this stuff available again? dozier

dozier is offline  
Old September 28th, 2010, 02:43 PM   #5
LoB
Lifer
 
LoB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Central NY
Posts: 2,173
Quote:
Locutus, where did you purchase the GGG? Is this stuff available again? dozier
Dozier, I got my order in just before leobrass took it off his website. I thought he said he had more but had to separate it out from other brass.

LoB is offline  
Old September 28th, 2010, 03:17 PM   #6
9th
Lifer
 
Join Date: Nov 1978
Location: Kihei, Hawaii
Posts: 6,347
WRA brass is Good To Go

9th is offline  
Old September 28th, 2010, 05:06 PM   #7
Old Salt
 
BLACKTAIL 8541's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 1,738
I really like WRA brass. I found a High poewer shooter that was willing to give a large quanity of 1x fired. I could only afford 5k

BLACKTAIL 8541 is offline  
Old September 30th, 2010, 08:22 AM   #8
Lifer
 
dozier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 3,941
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus_of_Borg View Post
Dozier, I got my order in just before leobrass took it off his website. I thought he said he had more but had to separate it out from other brass.
Thanks for the info. I think his sales went up after a posting by Art Luppino on TFL. Really good brass, but I believe he's OOS at this time according to other posts. You scored well there. dozier

dozier is offline  
Reply

  M14 Forum > M14 M1A Forum > Ammunition



Search tags for this page
how good is winchester brass compred to lake city
,
lake city brass vs fc
,
lake city brass vs others
,
lake city vs winchester brass
,
w r a 51
,

wra 51

,
wra 51 bullet
,
wra 57 308 brass
,
wra 65
,
wra 69
,

wra 69 brass

,

wra brass

Click on a term to search for related topics.

Moderator Tools
Display Modes


Similar M14 Forum Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
7.62 NATO Vs 308 WIN What's the difference? james22b The M14 46 May 4th, 2014 11:36 AM
Lake City LR Brass Available Not going to last long 82nd ABN Ammunition 14 March 17th, 2012 12:57 AM
For Sale: 7.62 x 51 Lake City brass (1080 rnds) thomas2011 PX 1 October 12th, 2011 10:15 AM
Lake City Brass g5 Ammunition 6 August 1st, 2006 05:35 PM
Precision Reloading for the M1A/M305 mysticplayer The M14 35 April 13th, 2004 03:25 PM



Top Gun Sites Top Sites List