m14 CASM mount moving? PLEASE HELP! - M14 Forum

M14 Forum


m14 CASM mount moving? PLEASE HELP!

This is a discussion on m14 CASM mount moving? PLEASE HELP! within the Accuracy forums, part of the M14 M1A Forum category; PLEASE READ. Hello, I've recently purchased a Norinco m14 from a local Canadian tire last summer. I wanted to mount a scope on it and ...


Go Back   M14 Forum > M14 M1A Forum > Accuracy

15Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Moderator Tools Display Modes

Old January 22nd, 2017, 06:13 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Canada
Posts: 10
m14 CASM mount moving? PLEASE HELP!

PLEASE READ. Hello, I've recently purchased a Norinco m14 from a local Canadian tire last summer. I wanted to mount a scope on it and I've found a very high quality Bushnell elite for it. BUT it's been a pain in the arse finding a rail mount that works. The first 2 mounts I got caused the gun to stove pipe (ejected shell gets caught in action because the mount was too low), until FINALLY I got a CASM m14 mount that didn't cause stove piping but the shells would still hit the mount when ejected.

So the problem I'm having is I cannot sight the gun in even on 50 yards. At first I noticed the front screw of the CASM wasn't fully touching the top receiver, so I tightened it but I still believe the recoil plus the shells hitting the mount still moves the mount (very slightly) but just enough to throw it off. I believe this is the case because I notice the shots have a random elevation but sometimes they move side to side. Is it the shells hitting the mount or the recoil or both??? I want to know would getting a gun smith to add threads in the top of the receiver ring for the front screw help?? I appreciate any help, I really want to be able to hit anything at 200 yards...

Picture of screw that touches receiver ring


Picture of whole mount and top reciever


Last edited by Mihajlo Simsic; January 22nd, 2017 at 07:04 PM.
Mihajlo Simsic is offline  
Remove Ads
Old January 23rd, 2017, 06:55 AM   #2
Old Salt
 
BrokenVet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: WA State capital
Posts: 1,391
You will have issues of movement with that kind on mount due to the way it is held in place only in the back. I say get rid of it and get something like this.

http://shop.brownells.com/optics-mou...uQShoChhjw_wcB

You want something that is bolted in that hole on the left side of the receiver and also held at the rear by the grove where the stripper guide normally goes.

There are mounts of lesser price and will do a better job than what you have.
You can Amazon.com ; Numrich, (Numrich ships to Canada).

Welcome to the forum

Thanks from POLACK
BrokenVet is offline  
Old January 23rd, 2017, 07:22 AM   #3
Super Moderator
 
tonyben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 9,083

Awards Showcase

You have your CASM set up all wrong. Back out the front screw all the way so it's not touching, or just simply remove it.

At the back of the mount, there's a set screw that go in from the top. Screw in that set screw and that will tilt the front of the mount down and the front of the mount will touch the top of the receiver ring.

Once that's done, insert the front set screw until it just begins to lift the front of the scope mount off the receiver and keep going about 1/8th of a turn.

Here's a video...


Tony.

Thanks from NORKALNIMROD
tonyben is offline  
 
Old January 23rd, 2017, 07:53 AM   #4
Automatic Rifleman
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Austin Texas
Posts: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyben View Post
You have your CASM set up all wrong. Back out the front screw all the way so it's not touching, or just simply remove it.

At the back of the mount, there's a set screw that go in from the top. Screw in that set screw and that will tilt the front of the mount down and the front of the mount will touch the top of the receiver ring.
Make that just barely touch the front of the receiver. You can screw the back screw in enough to visibly bow the rail (opposite the problem you currently have.) this, in turn, will make the rings dent the scope when tightened. You want the front to come down and touch the front of the receiver, but lightly enough that you can easily raise the front under tension with a finger.

Quote:
Once that's done, insert the front set screw until it just begins to lift the front of the scope mount off the receiver and keep going about 1/8th of a turn.
Good video.

Thanks from tonyben
MitchAlsup is offline  
Old January 23rd, 2017, 12:31 PM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Canada
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVet View Post
You will have issues of movement with that kind on mount due to the way it is held in place only in the back. I say get rid of it and get something like this.

http://shop.brownells.com/optics-mou...uQShoChhjw_wcB

You want something that is bolted in that hole on the left side of the receiver and also held at the rear by the grove where the stripper guide normally goes.

There are mounts of lesser price and will do a better job than what you have.
You can Amazon.com ; Numrich, (Numrich ships to Canada).

Welcome to the forum
Thanks for the suggestion! But the mount I got at first was just like that (Sadlak) and the problem was it wouldn't eject like 80% of the time and just stove pipe. The CASM has only stovepiped once out of the 50+ rounds I shot with it. Is it because it's a Norinco so it ejects upwards more?

Mihajlo Simsic is offline  
Old January 23rd, 2017, 12:58 PM   #6
Lifer
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,379
The rings look like WEAVER type. The CASM mount is designed for PICATINNY type rings. Most Weaver type rings will work with the CASM mount, however some brands of rings do not seat tight because the different sized cross bolts or cross recoil lugs do not allow full engagement of the bottom of the rings to the top of the mount.

Check for binding here between the rings and the mount, that prevents full seating.

Also, there should be clearance at the rear of the mount between the top of the stripper clip guide boss and the underside of the mount.
Otherwise stated,
you should be able to seat the mount all the way down at the front with zero front elevation adjustment screw protrusion, and no touching between underside of mount and stripper clip guide boss.

Lazerus2000 is offline  
Old January 23rd, 2017, 01:26 PM   #7
Lifer
 
POLACK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: south east Florida
Posts: 2,482
just like the mini 14 scope mount.

POLACK is offline  
Old January 23rd, 2017, 04:49 PM   #8
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Canada
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyben View Post
You have your CASM set up all wrong. Back out the front screw all the way so it's not touching, or just simply remove it.

At the back of the mount, there's a set screw that go in from the top. Screw in that set screw and that will tilt the front of the mount down and the front of the mount will touch the top of the receiver ring.

Once that's done, insert the front set screw until it just begins to lift the front of the scope mount off the receiver and keep going about 1/8th of a turn.

Here's a video...


Tony.
Yeah I definitely didn't do that lol. I'll try this but if it doesn't work still would you recommend I send it to a gun smith make threads for the front screw in the reciever ring??

Mihajlo Simsic is offline  
Old January 23rd, 2017, 05:07 PM   #9
Old Salt
 
wiz1997's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pearland, Texas
Posts: 1,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mihajlo Simsic View Post
Yeah I definitely didn't do that lol. I'll try this but if it doesn't work still would you recommend I send it to a gun smith make threads for the front screw in the reciever ring??
Mihajlo S,

Listen to Mr. Tonyben and watch his "how to" videos that can be found on this site and on youtube by searching for "tonyben3".

He is one of several M14/M1A "gurus" that grace this forum with their know how.

Thanks from tonyben
wiz1997 is offline  
Old January 24th, 2017, 12:02 PM   #10
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Canada
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchAlsup View Post

Make that just barely touch the front of the receiver. You can screw the back screw in enough to visibly bow the rail (opposite the problem you currently have.) this, in turn, will make the rings dent the scope when tightened. You want the front to come down and touch the front of the receiver, but lightly enough that you can easily raise the front under tension with a finger.
I think the problem is that the front of the mount is moving so I assume it shouldn't be loose? Hence why I'm getting random elevation changes when I try sighting in the scope. I can do what he suggested and re-install it step by step but If that still doesn't work I just want to know if it's a good idea to get a gunsmith to tap a thread in the reciever ring for the front screw. I'm literally getting like a 5" group at just 100 yards lol.

Mihajlo Simsic is offline  
Old January 24th, 2017, 12:10 PM   #11
Lifer
 
Wasted ammo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: GA
Posts: 2,665
How does the gun group with the irons? What kind of ammo are you shooting? Are you positive your optic isn't defective? Before I let someone drill and tap my receiver I personally would try another mount. Basset for instance it bolts to the hole that is already drilled and tapped for a scope mount.

Wasted ammo is offline  
Old January 24th, 2017, 12:10 PM   #12
Lifer
 
Capona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mihajlo Simsic View Post
I think the problem is that the front of the mount is moving so I assume it shouldn't be loose? Hence why I'm getting random elevation changes when I try sighting in the scope. I can do what he suggested and re-install it step by step but If that still doesn't work I just want to know if it's a good idea to get a gunsmith to tap a thread in the reciever ring for the front screw. I'm literally getting like a 5" group at just 100 yards lol.
No mount, I don't care who makes it, should be loose or have any play.

Thanks from Wasted ammo
Capona is offline  
Old January 24th, 2017, 12:21 PM   #13
Lifer
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,379
We designed the CASM scope mount to be solid and durable WITHOUT a left leg or tapping the receiver ring at the top . I have personally installed DOZENS of these mounts and there are hundreds and hundreds of M14 shooters using these mounts quite successfully.

Properly installed, there should be ZERO movement between the mount and the M14 receiver.
If there is movement in the scope to mount connection, look at the rings carefully to make sure they are fitting properly to the mount.

Lazerus2000 is offline  
Old January 24th, 2017, 02:26 PM   #14
Banned Camp
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: The FREE STATE of IDAHO
Posts: 2,951
As is the norm, tonyben nailed it.
It is not the mount, it is how the mount was installed.
I am no expert, but my experience has been that the CASM, if installed properly is extremely solid and in my opinion could be the most solid mount system in production for the M14 platform. JMHO.

Thanks from tonyben and sstephen88
NORKALNIMROD is offline  
Old January 27th, 2017, 11:15 AM   #15
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Canada
Posts: 10
Well. I installed the scope mount properly and got some solid picatinny scope rings. Going to the range tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Mihajlo Simsic is offline  
Reply

  M14 Forum > M14 M1A Forum > Accuracy

Moderator Tools
Display Modes


Similar M14 Forum Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold WTS M14 CASM Scope Mount $100 Shipped russmerle SPF 2 May 10th, 2016 08:45 AM
You have to read this ribs55 Steel and Wood 11 February 4th, 2015 07:15 PM
Red dot sight and mount. Dsc Optics 48 September 21st, 2012 08:40 PM
1965 TRW NM specs jerrywh918 The M14 11 February 19th, 2012 07:44 AM



Top Gun Sites Top Sites List